Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4100 problems

View my Photos
droz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-25          5512

I wanted to mention a few problems I have had with my 4100. I have about 8 hours on it and have taken it in twice. The first time to have the mower adjusted but when I was there it wouldn't start. After several hours of work they finally found the computer module (a $200 part) under the seat to be defective. It would turn over but apparently did not get fuel so if you are having problems starting, check that.Also, after mowing awhile, I kept hearing a loud noise periodically. I thought it was just thick weeds but it sounded unusual so I thought I would remove the mower (which by the way takes about 5 minutes and is incredibly simple). Fortunately I noticed the hydraulic line above seemed worn and deduced that the mid PTO shaft was rubbing on it when the mower is raised (as when cutting high grass). I was probably close to perforating. When I took it back to the dealer, I was expecting some argument but the service manager apparently was aware of that since they had already had another one in to replace the line. He said when they received the new one for me they will bend it to avoid that in the future. Obviously this is a design flaw that you should watch for if you have a 4100.I can accept these things in a new machine as long as they are taken care of. Other than that it is a wonderful machine.Also, for general information, they said they are the hub for 3 states and have only one of the 4000 series to sell. He reiterated what has been said, that John Deere hadn't expected the demand to be this great. He also said that they have to order a year ahead of time and that was how John Deere gauges the demand.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4100 problems

View my Photos
greg

1999-07-12          5903

Sorry to hear of the problems with a new machine but sounds like you got them squared away well. I have a 4100 also without those problems or any for that matter with over 150 hours now. Yes, it is a very good machine for me, does what I bought it to do. I guess I am a little envious of the Kubota 2710 owners now as the 2710 gives one alot more tractor for a little more money...it would have been a tougher decision to go the 4100 route if the 2710 was available last year. ....

JD 4100 problems

View my Photos
droz

1999-07-12          5905

I am having the hydraulic hose above the mid-PTO replaced this week under warranty since it was so worn. They will also reroute it to avoid that problem in the future. Maybe you don't have a midmount mower but if you do I would check the pipe above it just to be sure. ....

JD 4100 problems

View my Photos
Scott in New Hampshi

1999-10-13          8755

Regarding problems with the 4100, so far the only thing that annoys me about my 4100 is the loader hydraulic hoses rubbing against the tread of my rigth front tire in a hard right-hand turn. This seems like such an obvious problem that I don't know how it escaped the designer's attention. I'm thinking of just putting in another cable tie closer to the hydraulic connectors, but I wonder if that would stress the connectors and cause a problem over time.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Scott ....

JD 4100 problems

View my Photos
Larry

1999-10-13          8756

Scott,I checked my 4100 w/410 loader and the hydraulic hose lines do not touch the right front tire in a hard turn. This was on level ground so maybe I will have troubles in the future. Have you tried increasing the loop size off the back of the loader arm. That would take up some slack in the hoses. Just a thought. I did use a larger cable tie on the loader arm because the one supplied by JD kept breaking. I encountered a different problem with the 4100. After I installed the loader I noticed that the park brake was set automatically when I lifted the 3 pt. hitch arms. It turned out that a cross arm bolt was too long and hit the brake linkage. After some adjustments the problem is gone. There isn't much realestate left on the underside of the 4100 after the loader is installed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login