Go Bottom Go Bottom

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
jbremer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-06          43452

I have an 870 with no mid pto. I want to buy a belly mower. Can a mid-mount pto be added to my 870? If so, What can I expect to pay for the pto?

Thanks

John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
Royjackson

2002-10-06          43455

This is one you'll probably have to ask the Deere dealer. Since the 4210 Deere mid PTO is a "field installed"(read dealer) option, it's possible you may be able to retrofit a mit PTO, IF there is a kit or parts available.

Doing one of my fantasy stages, I priced out the 4210 tractor. Adding the mid PTO wasn't that expensive.

That doesn't mean fitting the PTO to your 870 won't be, though.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. ....

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-07          43479

Adding a mid-pto potentially might require replacing half of a tractor--new TX, new cases etc.. If so, the cost would be prohibitive.

I think the question has come up before and maybe for one of the 4000-series JD's. And the answer was that it's feasible but not exactly cheap. Part of the reason it was feasible was is the same cases are used on standard and mid-pto models. Of course, the 4000/10 series might be intended for a few more bells n whistles than 870's are, and there may be more upgrade kits and dealer installed options available.

As Roy mentioned, a dealer certainly know if upgrade kits are available and the costs. Thinking dealer and factory kit probably is the way to go. Even if it's feasible without a kit, you'd have to know all the part numbers for the drive and linkages to order and you'd have to know every part in a parts manual where mid and standard models have different part numbers. A parts manual exercise would be needed even if a used drive was located since you’d have to know how much of the tractor to take to get the drive and all parts specific to a mid-pto.

Anyway, I don't think it sounds very doable unless a factory kit is available. For alternatives, there are rear to front conversion kits that I found when I was thinking about a front snow blower. Conversion for a MMM might be more complicated that a front blower. Something might exist but one might be fairly specific to a particular MMM since the shaft sort of has to run where the mower mounts.

Unfortunately, the conversion kits I found were pretty expensive and I didn't look far enough to determine if one with the right direction of rotation and output rpm could be found.

An idea off the top of my head is that I wonder if a hydraulic motor for a MMM would work. There are hydraulic PHA's. Maybe that's an idea to think through.

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
mascdm

2002-10-17          43939

I have been down this road. Bought an 870 without mid PTO and asked five dealers about getting one. They told me it was no longer available from Deere. There is a factory kit BM17995 BUT it is No Longer Available from Deere. You can order all the parts individually from Deere but apparently not the kit. However I found one dealer who checked other dealers (on some kind of network) and found 12 kits in the entire US. BUT he wanted $500 for it!!!

I procrastinated about a month and when I checked back they told me there were 9 kits left. I have no way of knowing if this was true or not, but I ordered it anyway.

The dealer charged me $39.60 shipping on top of the $500 insult plus tax but I got the kit. This was in June 02.

I later found out on the Rear Hydraulic Kit, that this particular dealer was going to charge me more than Deere list for a still made Kit, so this $500 Kit price might have been inflated. I got the Hydraulic Kit for considerable less from another dealer.

Bottom line is you should ask your dealer to see if he can find other dealers who might still have the Mid PTO Kit in inventory.

I'm not sure how to find out what the Kit OUGHT to cost, since the Deere system won't show it anymore. Some dealers holding this Kit might even sell it below whatever the list was just to get it out of their inventory. Kind of ironic.

I bought a set of 870 R1 mounted tires on rims that way last month. To order the pieces new would have cost over $2,000 from Deere but I found a dealer who had swapped turfs for ags and still had the ags sitting in his warehouse. I saved about a $1000 and the dealer got rid of stale inventory.

Charlie ....

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
mascdm

2002-10-17          43941

By the way, have you checked what a MMM will cost? Pretty hefty not counting the $500 for the Mid PTO. You're probably looking at $2,000 to $3,000 from JD new IF they can get it for the 870. I was told THAT was discontinued too as a Kit and would have to be ordered as a mower and then all the completion parts.

Have you considered a 3 point Finish Mower? For $800 to $1200 you don't even need the Mid PTO.

I got lucky. I found a MMM on eBay and got it for $475.

By the way, the $500 for the Mid PTO Kit was not that bad when you take a look at what is in the box. It's some major parts.

Charlie ....

mid pto for 870

View my Photos
XAC0695

2002-10-30          44448

JOHN
Iam a salesperson at a JD dealer in S.E.PA.We have a BM17995 mid pto kit for your 870 in stock.It is no longer available from deere.The last list price was $441 and I will sell it for that plus UPS charge.
As for the mid mower itself,the 72"is still available from deere at a list price of $3,755.Also,depending on what tires you have you may need a $210 adapter bracket kit.The 870 uses the three pt to raise the mower.Icould sell you the deck for $3,350 plus freight not counting the adapter bracket kit,but your best bet might be to locate a good used deck.I will be happy to ship you the pto kit if you want it.MC,Visa,Discover,leet me know.
Dale Martin ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login