Go Bottom Go Bottom

Is a John Deere 750 too small

View my Photos
Miles Lawler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-01          28845

I have "pretty much" agreed to purchase a John Deere 750 4WD compact tractor for $6000. There are a couple of details to be cleared up first. He isn't sure of the year and horsepower. He thinks it is a 1987, and he said he was pretty sure it had 26 HP. The online used tractor pricing guide that I found only listed 18 HP models and I have seen the serial number reference so that I can check out the year. Does someone know? It has 1300 hours on it and I would classify it as being in "good/average" shape. I am going to be using it on a farm mostly for mowing/bushhogging. There are only about 5 acres to be mowed, and I will occasionally bushhog other small areas to keep the brush down. I will also be using it to clear snow (he is including a rear blade), pulling up stumps, dragging out logs, etc. There are a couple of trailers and a 3 ft beat-up but useable bushhog included and a couple other minor things. I have no plans for plowing. It seems to run and look fine, and I like the compact size for getting around the woods. I am interested in getting a finish mower for the 5 acre front yard. Will I be severely limited by horsepower? Could I utilize a 5 ft finish mower (PTO driven)?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kay

2001-06-01          28846

I would suggest you take the s/n numbers to a JD dealer and ask them to run them, let you know the year, the history of the tractor (when sold, where sold, etc.) and then make your decision. You will make contact with those you might need service and parts from in the future, and find out what you need to know.
I would imagine there are limitations on this compact (as there are with all of them) and you should have an idea what the limitations are before you buy. Sounds like a good buy. ....

View my Photos
eric

2001-06-01          28865

Try here I'm sure youl find that its there. Eric ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-06-02          28867

Miles, The JD 750 is 20HP (15 PTO HP). This is pretty similar to the JD4100, which I have. It will handle the following quite well (based on my 4100 experiance): 5 foot finish mower, 4 foot brush hog, 52" rototiller, 5 foot rear grader blade, 4 1/2 foot box scraper. I think that you'd be happy with the 750, doing what you've posted here. ....

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-06-02          28872

I have an '88 750 that I bought new. It will do any of the tasks you mentioned except pulling stumps. Pulling stumps with a tractor requires a LOT of weight, and the 750 just doesn't have it. It'll try it's little heart out, but you'll just spin the wheels. Pulling stumps is dangerous anyway, I don't recommend it. Too easy to flip the tractor over or have the chain break and come whipping back at you. I run a 5' bush hog over brush up to 2", a 4" chipper, and a 50" rototiller among other things, and have never lacked for power. Traction, yes, but not power. You'll LOVE the 4WD, by the way. My dealer just offered me $5000 for mine with the FEL, towards a new 790. I got quite a chuckle out of that... ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-03          28928

Hey Paul, was that Tyler in Ellsworth? He always good for a laugh. David ....

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-06-04          28936

Oh, you know him, eh? ":^) I don't expect to be in the market for a new tractor in this lifetime, but if I am, it darn sure won't come from Greenway. Too many yuppies with more money than sense around here. I'll head down to farming country if I ever hit the megabucks and decide to get a new tractor. ....

View my Photos
Miles Lawler

2001-06-23          29563

Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Sounds like the 750 will do just fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login