Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Problems - JD BH Radiator

View my Photos
Doug Huebner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-07          25143

I ran into four new problems /issues with my 4300 recently and wondered if anyone else had seen some of them. I am approaching two years and about 200 hours. This winter I noticed that after using the tractor there was a puddle of antifreeze on the shed floor. The dealer looked it over and said it was normal to loose some. I have a hard tiome with this as it did not happen up until now and it was not going into the overflow tank. [But they did replace the radiator]Second, I have had trouble with the backhoe leaking from the control unit. They replaced all of the seals / o-rings which the mechanic said appeared ot have been damaged during or before installation. The BH still leaks some and the dealer tells me this is normal and that there are weep holes just for this purpose.I received a "recall notice" for the backhoe mount and the dealer had not been notified so he did not install it. I sent him a copy.My battery also died. They replaced it with an upgraded battery and only charged me for the upgrade{?}. He told me I should clean the battery and the radiator periodically as leakage from the battery can eat through the radiator. The dealer has been great and done all repairs with no questions asked and no charge [except for the battery] including pick-up and delivery, so I am pleased from that standpoint, but wonder about these recent problems on top of the others I, and many others, have had. Has anyone else had problems losing radiator fluid or with a "normal" backhoe leak?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-03-07          25150

Hi Doug, I have a John Deere 790 with a #7 backhoe and it doesn't leak a drop.Also was your raditor leaking? or do you still have a leak some where else?I would not expect your backhoe to leak .if what your dealer is saying is true why doesn't their SCV valves also leak ? there built the same way.

JIM

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-03-07          25153

Hello Doug, first let me say that I don't own a Deere but consider them to be great machines. Second, I've been a manufacturing engineer for 21+ years, in aerospace, and a part-time landscaper for over forty years. This I can tell you with absolute certainty: hydraulic leaks in a new machine like yours are unacceptable, period. As for the anti-freeze issue, I've experienced hose clamps that require tightening (normal maintenance) and a drain cock that weeped a little due to an improperly seated "O" ring (on my Cub Cadets). Maybe your leak came from a hose or clamp also, changing out a radiator on such a new machine seems a bit drastic. Batteries should not reflect negatively (no pun intended) on a manufacturer because I consider them to be pretty much luck of the draw. Little stuff like tightening hoses and clamps after 50 hours or so is to be expected and should be listed as owner's responsibility, but hydraulic leaks from a new system? Sorry, no sale. Even the construction equipment I've owned/run didn't start to leak/weep until well over 2000 hours. ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-07          25162

Doug, The above replies are right. An oil/fuild leak on a new machine is unexceptable, New I mean under 500 hrs. I have 445 hrs on my JD 4700 and about half of those hrs. are running the #48 BH. No leaks of any kind. The cylinders do leak down a little due to gravity but NO fluid leaks. David ....

View my Photos
Ken Butner

2001-03-09          25249

I have a JD4300 with a BH. I have noticed that there is corrosion in the battery compartment area as well as on the frame of the tractor directly under the battery. I have not had any trouble with the radiator leaking, but now I am concerned. That might be a project for this weekend to replace battery and do some cleaning.... What causes batteries to leak?????

My backhoe has had a couple leaking cylinders but never the control valves. I have been told the same thing everyone else is saying, leaks are unacceptable on a new machine. -Ken ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-09          25258

I've got a 48 BH on a JD4400 for a year now and have not seen any external leakage from the BH, just some gravity settling at times from internal leakage in the spool valve I assume. However, you ccan be sure I'm going to check around the battery this weekend for any signs of corrosion! ....

View my Photos
Jeff Kraft

2001-03-28          26010

The battery problem that you are having and the radiator are related, after a hard discharge the charging system will put a lot of charging amperage into the battery which will make the battery give off acidic fumes, the problem on the original 4000's is that those fumes are then drawn into the radiator and oil cooler. John Deere has fixed this, have you dealer give you a new battery vent cap that will have a hose that runs out the bottom of the battery compartment so the fumes harmless leave the engine compartment. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Tom Lucent

2001-03-28          26019

Thanks Jeff! Just called my dealer for the vent hose kit for the battery. Funney thing he asked where I was getting my information. i don't know why they just don't let everyone know that has a 4000 series but i guess that may cost them a buck. Tom ....

View my Photos
Pgriffin

2001-12-04          33665

My tractor was in the dealer and recieved the vent cap update now ( about 2 months later) the cooler sprung a leak. It was awhile before the tractor was shut down (about 2 minutes).I hpoe this did not ruin the hydro pump. Now they say they will put in a whole new battery. I'm not happy about having to pay 50 dollars to have the dealer pick it up for a known design flaw! Comments? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login