JD790 vs JD4100: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD790 vs JD4100: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-27-2001, 20:47 Post: 24787
Craig Smith

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JD790 vs JD4100

I am so frusrated! I need a small tractor to do some heavy land clearing on a 2 1/2 acre lot, the soil is partly muddy, 1/3 woods. I need to create more of a slope for better drainage. When done, I intend for the wife to have her "garden" on 1/3 third, and lawn on 1/2, and the rest woods. I am torn between the JD790 (a well proven total yanmar produst) and a JD4100 (a mostly Yanmar/new product). The price of the 4100 w/HST and loader is about the same as the JD790 with loader. Both new around 14,000. I am almost 50, and since This will be probably the only tractor I buy, I would like it to be the right one. Also, the sales tax is 6% so I don't want to do it twice! What do you think?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-27-2001, 21:41 Post: 24794
Kenny

JD790 vs JD4100

Personally, I think you get more bang for your buck with the 790. If you don't mind the gear drive transmission, the 790 is the way to go. You get a heavier tractor which would be an advantage with the "heavy land clearing" that you mentioned. However, if hydro is important to you, the 4100 is a good machine also. It might be preferable if you plan to do mostly mowing after your land clearing is done.

02-27-2001, 21:58 Post: 24795
Roger L.

Filter by User
 JD790 vs JD4100

Hmm....both very nice tractors. Do you ever plan to put a small backhoe on one? That might make a difference. Other than that, there are some important things about tractors that hardly ever get discussed. Here is how to test them:
Take both tractors out in the parking lot and drive them around fairly slowly on some bumpy ground. Stop about every 20 feet and get off the tractor, walk around it and get back on. Do this dozens of times for each tractor and you won't have to decide, your body will tell you which one that you want.
When you get your tractor, you won't believe how often you get on and off of the darn thing. Ease of doing so quickly becomes one of the most important things about the machine. The quality of the ride over ruts and bumps shares second place with ease of shifting from forward to reverse. To me it doen't matter if the tractor goes from forward to reverse via a syncro shifting manual tranny, a shuttle shift of some sort, or a HST....you just need some expedient way to change directions. Changing speeds while going in the same direction is nice if you have it..but an easy forward to reverse shift is more important.

02-27-2001, 22:08 Post: 24798
Larry in MI.

JD790 vs JD4100

Craig, I went through the same decision process a while back. It is not an easy decision. If the 790 was available in a hydro model it would have been a simple choice. Unfortunately the 790 is not available with a hydrostatic transmission. The other factors I considered was the standard mid pto and mfwd on the 4100. The independent pto's was another important feature for me (I'm just not that coordinated with clutches and tillers at the same time). I think the mid pto and MFWD are options on the 790. The 790 is a lot more tractor for the money h.p. wise, but when you consider the options and what the 4100 can do, I decided on the 4100. You may also want to consider Newholland and Kubota. My hat is off to the people that can operate a clutch and front end loader with precision. I just can't seem to do that. The hydrostatic drive was very important to me. This is not much of an answer but maybe a little insight. In any event I hope it was helpful.

Link:   Click Here 

02-28-2001, 05:51 Post: 24801
Craig Dashner

JD790 vs JD4100

I have the 4100 w/ gear trans. Believe me, you won't go wrong either way. The 790 will give you more bang for the buck and do the work in a shorter time. As far as reliability, I don't think there will be much difference between the two. I think either of them, properly maintained, will last as long as you need it. If the gear vs hydro has you thinking, drive one. I did and was suprised at how easy the gear shifts. They will both do the same work, the 790 will just do it a little bit faster.

02-28-2001, 06:47 Post: 24806
Craig Smith

Filter by User
 JD790 vs JD4100

Thankyou so far for the few responses. FYI - the 790 does not have the hydrostatic transmission (not an option - too bad). THe hydro vs the power is probably my main concern (wife and kid may want to use it - although the wife is quite hardy), although on the ease of cockpit entry/exit is also. I noticed that the 4100 seems roomier, and the 790 is mainly entered on the left side; while the 4100 seems to be able to get on from eother side (if I remember right). I'll have to check it out again. One other thing - the 4100 looks like it has reduction gears on the rear wheel assemblies. The 790 has the normal straight rear axle - bolts right to the wheels. This concerns me with two things: 1-Something else to break/service, and 2-If the rear wheels go down into mud, something else to "drag". THe front axle clearance on the 4100 is about 13", and the 4100 is about 14". I couldn't find the specs of the rear axle clearances.
Oh yeah - I am considering looking at Kubota, but my area is mostly flooded with John Deere. I don't even know which models are comparable. If you know, please respond, so I can do a price/aestetics comparison.
Keep 'em coming---

02-28-2001, 07:20 Post: 24808
TomG

TP Contributor

JD790 vs JD4100

I always figured that the best tractor for a person is one that well suited to do what needs to be done over 20 or more years. I think many people start thinking about getting a tractor because of some big project that actually is a one-time job. The two ideas often don't match up very well. A good tractor for the long haul may be too small get the big project done in an acceptable time, and a tractor for the big work may be unwieldy for most jobs and also will remain unwieldy for 20+ years. My compromise was to go for the middle sized jobs. I got a used 24HP gear tractor. It gets the moderate sized jobs done well. However, I mow an acre, more or less, at each of two places, and I use a riding mower. The tractor would take too long to maneuver around landscaping, and the weight isn't real good for the lawn. I also recognize that large projects would take forever and might be risky for the tractor or me. The larger jobs go to the dozer guy. I figure that the money I save on middle-sized jobs I do with the tractor pays for the riding mower, and the time saved by the dozer guy is added to my life. Tractors are fun, but I don't want to spend all my time on one. I guess I'd start out getting a good idea of the initial projects. My opinion is that many jobs like clearing woods and re-grading sizable plots is best done with a dozer. The project could require removing quite a few stumps and moving a lot of dirt around. Compact tractors don't do either of these things very well, or at least very fast. Could be that neither tractor is a very good choice for the initial work. If true, then the bullet could be bitten. The dozer guy could come in and make short work of it, and plenty of smaller finish work would be left for a tractor. If that idea works, then, you could decide which tractor to get on the basis of factors that might be more useful to you over the long haul.

02-28-2001, 07:34 Post: 24809
Jim Reichard

JD790 vs JD4100

Hi Craig, I also had a hard time deciding. I finally went with the 790 and have been glade with my choice! I have like you some land to clear and so far I have had no problems.I have had smaller and bigger tractor over the years and one thing you find out about clearing land is you need a tractor with lots of weight and horsepower. I was amazed with the front end loader ,I had a stump about 18" dia from a toppeled tree that was my first victum. I worked my way under it and pulled it from the ground without breaking a sweat.I personaly don't mind shifting gears and the 790 shifts easy. You can also call 1-800-654-0611 and get a JOHN DEERE video free that compares all the market of compact tractors. Tell them you read about it in some magazine and they will send it right out to you!also shop around I saved $4000.00 + by buying my 790 through an Industrial dealer they had more insentives than through the AG dealer and could not even come close to the Industrial pricing.I hope this helps!

JIM

03-01-2001, 01:53 Post: 24837
JonB

JD790 vs JD4100

Craig, all prior posts are right on. After test driving gear and HST, I decided a 4100 HST was easier and safer for me. I'll probably never qualify as an expert even though I bought it to last for life. Eliminating gear shifting just made operating less complex for this part-time farmer. I also decided the lighter machine fit my sometimes muddy 2 acres better--I had a rented Bobcat stuck in my mud twice before buying the Deere. I also read, visited dealers, and researched for months. Eventually you decide what fits you best. Best of luck. JonB

03-01-2001, 06:06 Post: 24840
Craig Smith

Filter by User
 JD790 vs JD4100

Thankyou all for everything - I'm leaning toward the 4100 (with the hydro) for "lifetime", but yesterday I was calling a Kubota dealer to see comparables, and he said he has a used 1995 JD955 with @1000 hours, 4wd, hydrostatic trans, loader, turf tires, for half the price (I think it was $7,900. but need to check again). I could buy a second set of bar tires, and still be way out ahead, then trade it in later on the 4100 if I don't like it. Money is tight. I haven't seen the tractor yet, but would be concerned if it had been a rental; or may have just cut lawns. Hmmmmm... another fly on the ointment. Also wondering why someone traded it in...
By the way, what does a 955 usually go for with the above mentioned items.
Oh yeah - Im located it upstate NY.
Keep 'em coming

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 24787 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | Craig Dashner 1 | Craig Smith 12 | Jack D 2 | Jim Reichard 1 | JonB 1 | Kenny 1 | Larry in MI. 1 | Roger L. 2 | Sternsher 1 | Todd 3 | TomG 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
bobhope

Lawn, Turf, and Grass - The Plus and Minus of Ignoring Your Lawn
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring Your Lawn

Unanswered Questions

Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari
Gear Grinding 1200A - primary
Replacing a friction diskwashe
Bolens k1502 mitsubishi K3 ove

Active Subjects

Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
Operation
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Still have jerk in hydro
Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Hydraulics Won t Work
4210 ehydro codes

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won t start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor