Go Bottom Go Bottom

hard to start in cold wheather

View my Photos
chad mitchell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-06          22174

I live in Michigan and when the temp. gets below 40F my 1993 John Deere 855 (550 hours) takes a long time to start. It will turn over fine, but will not take off. It takes several tries before it will run. Any suggestions would be very helpful!Thanks, Chad

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Kenny

2000-12-06          22190

Chad, does the preheater work on your tractor? When you turn on the key, the indicator light on the dash should light up and you should not try to crank the engine until the indicator light goes out. If the light does not come on, the control module could be bad or the bulb could be blown. If the light is working normally , but it still starts hard, the preheater itself could be bad. Worst case scenario, you could have low compression in your engine. Installation of a block heater could solve all of these problems, they can make the engine start like summer. The big drawback to the block heater is they consume quite a bit of electricity and you need to be near electricity to plug it in. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-07          22201

Took one home last winter to keep my driveway clean found the block heater to be a neccesity to get it started once much below 30 degrees. Sent it back to the shop twice looking for reasons. One was they had too many lites on it and to use them at nite and shut it down without leaving the tractor run for 1/2 hour the battery was low; doesn't seem that that is your problem. I think that you might be at the end of the design's efficency. Diesels need heat to start and they need to spin over fast. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-12-07          22202

I also have a 855, It started the other day when it was 15 degrees. if you are letting it preheat then there is a problem some were. there are 3 wires one for each cylinder for the preheater. (they unhook) use a test lite to see if your getting current to each heater (switch on ofcourse) when the lite on the dash goes out there still sould be current to the preheater for another 10 to 15 seconds.See if your problem is before or after this point. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-08          22228

I use a battery blanket in addition to a block heater. A warm battery spins the starter faster. I also cleaned the battery and ground cable terminals this fall. It cut my pre-heat time in half and probably sped up the starter as well. It probably would have been a good idea to clean the starter terminals as well. From the description, I can't quite tell if the starter is being held on, like a gas engine, waiting for the diesel to catch. If a diesel is going to start, it does so quickly. Most times, holding on the starter waiting for the engine to catch just draws down the battery. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-11          22342

Tom your blanket is good, another way is with a trickle charger. Either way you chose to keep a battery warm is good as a battery at 30degrees is only at 50% efficency at best. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-12          22358

I guess a trickle charger takes less electricity than a blanket. Guess I didn't go with a charger cause I figured raising the hood and connecting a charger would be a pain. Now, I think that I could have just added a line and fuse to the battery post and installed a convenient plug for a charger beside the engine. Probably would have taken less time than putting on the blanket.

With all this cold, I've been thinking that I haven't seen one cold weather tip in awhile. The tip is to keep the fuel tank topped up. Some water from condensation goes into fuel, and the amount of water is related to how much air is inside the tank. Fuel additives handle condensation problems for the most part. However, it's probably good not to give an additive anymore to do than necessary.

I just thought I'd recycle a basic tip in case somebody hasn't read it.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login