Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Andy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-27          16709

HELP...pleaseI have a 4300HST/FWD. I was doing some work with the FEL and all was going fine. I stopped, got off to throw a couple loose branches in the bucket and the tractor died. PTO was NOT engaged. I changed no settings of anything and attempted to restart the tractor..DEAD...just the click of the fuel shut off solenoid. Don't want to wait until Tuesday for JD to open...any suggestions on a possible repair. Fuses and relays appear fine and all wires appear to be connected.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-27          16710

Andy, I don't know how old your tractor is, or how much you've checked already, but I guess you know that fuses can "appear" to be good, but have a tiny bit of corrsion that will prevent them from making a good connection. I would ask about the possibility of being out of fuel, fuel shut-off closed, or fuel line or filter clogged, but you say the starter doesn't even turn it over? You said the PTO was off, is the gear shift lever in neutral, clutch depressed? Have you checked voltage at the battery and at the starter solenoid? Checked battery cables for corrosion? ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-05-27          16712

Bird, thanx fer the response. I've checked and double checked all except for voltage tests. No clutch, range selector in neutral. The HST pedals are in neutral (apparently). PTO off (apparently). Just no juice at the starter. Battery cables are in great shape. Have not checked for voltage at the starter, don't know what I would do if there wasn't any...circuits are so dependent on all fail-safe devices operating properly... ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-27          16713

Andy, I've not had that problem yet, but I've heard that sometimes those fail safe things, like the PTO being off, everything in neutral, etc. can cause one to fail to start and you can just wiggle the levers around a bit. I hate those electrical problems like that (and it sounds like that is what you have). I know how to trace them down; the problem is that they usually put the switches and wires where you can't get at them easily. ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
mark

2000-05-27          16714

Andy, I know several things have been suggested. Not to overlook the obvious but could it be related to a safety switch failing in the seat. You mentioned it died when you got off the tractor. Not sure on the 4300 but on our 430 LGT I am pretty sure there is a safety delay circuit in the seat that kills the engine if you get up from the seat. As mentioned earlier sounds like a safety device such as the seat, pto, clutch and brakes depressed, shifter in neutral etc. that is the culprit. Keep the list posted as I am curious to your final resolution. Good luck. Mark ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
droz

2000-05-27          16717

It may not be related but I had a similar experience with my 4100 when I was actually at the dealer getting a mower adjusted. It would no longer start. They checked everything for two hours and finally stumbled across the computer module that needed to be replaced. No it was nothing simple and there was no reason for it to happen. ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-05-27          16723

Andy, had about the same thing happen to my 4600 at 50 hrs, loaded it on trailer to transport everything fine . Got to field and nothing, dead, got a hold of my brother (Deere machanic) and the first thing he did was bypass the safety switch under seat. Started right up, switch was covered by waranty, about 20 min. to fix.(had to tear seat of to get to switch. Hope this helps, budinohio. ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-05-28          16741

thanx to everyone for the posts. it appears in have a problem with the hydo pedals. maybe a mechanical linkage adjustment. dealer is coming out tomorrow to fix. by the way...the entire system can be defeated by jumping the starter. ....

Dead JD4300

View my Photos
Ross

2000-05-29          16762

I had the same problem with my 4400, it was in the neutral safty switch in the pedals a pain to get at but just an adjustment ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login