Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4300 and Logging Winch with Loaded Tires

View my Photos
jimk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-17          13837

I am considering a JD4300. One of the uses will be to pull out firewood and timber logs. I have seen the Farmi JL290 and Fransgard mV2800 logging winches. Has anybody used either of these with the JD4000 series, particularly the 4300? In addition, I would appreciate your thoughts on the need for chains or calcium chloride loaded tires with this tractor. My current tractor is a Ford 8N with loaded rear tires. The loaded tires helped quite a bit in the woods, but I've never owned a FWD tractor. It seems like the loaded tires would also help as a counter-balance when using the loader, and traction when plowing snow. Thanks for your input, Jim.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-03-18          13872

If it's only fire wood, it might be easier to buzz the logs in place and spend money for some sort of grapple thing on the loader.

Probably be a good idea to get an opinion on how big of logs it's reasonable to handle safely with a 4300. I saw a log skidder in a Quebec town the other day. It was really big. Sort of like a huge dune buggy with a tow truck boom on the back. Of course this thing is meant for skidding big logs.

Based on a size comparison alone, I'd guess the 4300 might handle fence post or maybe pole shed sized logs. I may overstate the idea a bit. But anyway, it wouldn't be pleasant to spend a bunch on a logging winch only to find out that you can't get out the size logs you need without putting yourself or the tractor at risk. ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-03-18          13881

I pull plenty of big stuff with my Ford 1500 and my homemade winch. It's a 17hp PTO tractor and I have successfully pulled 16' x 16" logs uphill with the winch.
The tractor itself will skid much bigger than that. I would definitly suggest both loaded tires and chains especially if you are going to be working in snow and ice at all. (This is the best time to skid logs btw) One thing though, why are you going to take a brand new machine into the woods? It is going to get banged and scratched up pretty good. I would seriously be looking at used equipment. Are you going to mill your own timber logs? Depending on how many timber logs you are going to be skidding, and the terrain on your property, you can get an awful lot done with just a long cable and the tractor. The winch is really handy to get bunches of logs to a landing quickly where they can be skidded out in bunches.

Good Luck

If you are milling your own logs I would be interested in hearing what you are using.

Kim Hartshorn ....

View my Photos
jimk

2000-03-19          13941

Kim, I have logged about 30,000 board feet of lumber off of my land over the last 20 years. In the beginning I would have the logs trucked to a mill, but most of it has been milled right on the property by a Wood Miser portable bandsaw mill. I don't own one myself (though I'd love to), I've hired others to saw the lunber. This works out well, as they saw, I stack and sticker the wood. The Wood-Mizer bandsaw is a great mill but is fairly expensive.

I'm buying a new tractor because I guess it's about time I got a safer and more powerful tractor than the 8N. Many of the used units cost almost as much as new. I'm interested in the winch because I won't have to make so many trails for the tractor to get close to the logs. I have not done much logging in the snow as I do not have chains for my 8N, but hope to with my new tractor. I agree it is the best time to skid out the logs. Thanks for your input, Jim. ....

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-03-20          13960

Jim, I use a FARMI 351 winch on my JD 1070 mfwd and it works very well.The tractor has a full cab, 440 loader with a set of forks and constant traction chains on the rear,(no balast in tires).The thought of using a tractor with a cab in the woods was somewhat worrisome but the winch alows me to leave the rig on the road and haul the trees up to it.You will be amazed at what you can skid out with this type of set up but there are a few things to keep in mind,always set the tractor so that you pull straight on (if you pull at an angle it forces the three point and the top link),apply the parking brake,lower the winch so that the blade can dig into the snow and act as a brake and run the tractor at just a little over idle.The safty switch under the seat is a pain but I think of it as a necessary evil(you have to set the switch to bypass inorder to run the PTO when you are not on the seat).It's the next best thing to yarding with a horse.Play safe! DAVE!! ....

View my Photos
jimk

2000-03-20          13985

Dave, I know the Farmi 351 is a heavier unit than the Farmi JL290 that I've seen. What is the pto hp on your JD 1070, the JD 4300 I'm considering has 27 hp. Does the JD 4300 have the power to run the Farmi 351 satisfactorily? Thanks for your input, Jim. ....

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-03-21          14008

Jim, the 1070 is rated at 35hp (pto) and weighs in at 4800 lbs. with cab and loader. The 351 winch is rated at 7000 lbs.of pull.I have pulled the tractor toward the logs on ocasion even with the brakes set and the blade on the winch buried in the ground.I would think that the 351 would be too much for the lighter 4300. DAVE!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login