Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Doug Plourde
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-03          13420

I am currently shopping for a compact JD tractor. I have narrowed it down to the 4100 and the 790 (w/loader, mower, blower, cab). I will be using to maintain 5 acres: move snow, mow, and load horse manure. According to my dealer, these tractors are within $500 in price; $12,549/$11,999 respectively. Is there anyone with firsthand experience that can tell me if the hydrostatic transmission of the 4100 is worth giving up the 10 extra horses of the 790?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-03-03          13424

You should look at all the other threads resently, and search 790. I have given many comments on the subject, and many others have great comments on both machines.

I own a 790 and would not trade it for a 4100 or a 4200 (maybe a 4300 hmmm). 30hp and a 27hp PTO (27hp net 25hp net pto). The 4100 is only a 17 hp pto and just 16hp pto (I think that is less thena 455 with an optional 540 pto).

Also, you can not put a backhoe on the 4100, so if you want one, you are better with the 790.

Good luck , either machine is a real nice purchase. Specifications of Bucket loader and 3 point Lift cap. are about the same.

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Doug Plourde

2000-03-03          13432

Steve,
I have looked through the other threads and am not seeing this issue being addressed. I am most likely looking in the wrong place, would you be able to point me in the right direction? ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-03          13435

It really depends what you want. I have a 4100 gear. Bought the gear unit to save some money and really don't regret it. It's really boils down to a choice of automatic trans vs. clutch. Both will do the job. You just have to clutch the gear model. If you are comfortable with this in your car, then it will be no big deal in the tractor. The hydrostat would be more convienient though if you're doing a lot of loader work or any kind of repetative stop-go-change directions type of use. The 790 is the best buy if you are looking for a tractor of this size. It's a very solid unit. I shied away though for two reasons: 1) JD had the 4100 gear on sale last month for $9999, and 2) the frame size of the 790 appeared to be too large for some of my intended mowing uses. I really was looking for a compromise between power and manuverability. I made the right choice for me. If your 5 acres is wide open and easy to manuver around, I would definately go with the 790 (just a lot more for the same money). My 2 cents. ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-04          13481

I own a JD4100. The 790 is a great machine and if it had been available with a hst transmission, I would own one instead of the 4100. Driving a gear transmission automobile and gear transmission tractor are not quite the same thing. The throttle on a tractor is normally set to a fixed position (to set pto speed) and is continously varied on an automobile. Therefore the speed of a tractor is primarily determined by the gear setting. I wanted the hst because it is soooooo handy for changing speeds while mowing around trees and doing loader work while keeping the throttle setting constant. As the previous poster said, either tractor is a good choice. ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-03-05          13496

Doug, Just type "JD 790" in that little box that says search on the upper right hand corner of the screen. A few good things come up. Also, go to a dealer and drive a 4100 and then drive a 790. Try the HST and GST. Play with the loader,look at the PTO rigging ect.... compare the specs out of the Product book, other than that, it is a whole lot of fun to shop for a machine.

As you can see just from the few current posts the 790 is pretty well regarded, and the 4100 is also a popular model as well. I just think that either is okay, but the 790, hands down, gives you more machine for the money. If all you want to do is mow, then maybe you should lean towards the 4100, it's lighter and the HST would be better for an average user to deal with. I personally "like" gst over hst, so even if I could have bought HST with the 790 , I would not have been willing to pay more for it. For me , the more levers, and gadgets the better, I just love tractors though..... Don't care about automatic pushy pedals. LOL.... ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-03-06          13510

Doug,
Like most things posted here, you will have to weed through opinions and experiences generally limited to each persons needs and uses. With that said, OMO, but your hardly making a fair comparison here. Having owned 2 Gear's and now I'm on my second hydro, I have a pretty good feeling of each type, and where "I" feel one or the other excels..Under "MY" uses. And for sake of a shorter post, you will need to review the pros/cons of the mechanics behind each type. For me, having to perform what seems like about 1,000 direction changes while mowing, A gear tranny was a real pain in the neck. On the other hand, if I had a couple acres to mow of wide open field...the gear would most likely be my choice. Next, is HP....This seems a little self explanatory to me. More is more. Unfortunately, so is the size of the unit itself. Even the 4100 seems plenty big for my little 2 acre yard. In your situation, this may not be an issue and you may have plenty of open space for the 790 to chug around on.
Finally, and again OMO, the 4100 may be a bit small for what I suspect you will demand of the tractor. Best of luck. ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Ray Holland

2000-03-06          13518

I looked at the 4100, 4200 and 4300 and went with the 4300 hydro 4 wheel drive and love it. I do the same type of work with my tractor as you do with yours.. You will never be sorry if you bought the JD4300, just bite the bullet, buy what you really want. Ray ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Doug Plourde

2000-03-08          13584

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went to my dealer and tried both tractors. Hands down, the 790 is lots more tractor for the money. The shifting was smooth and well synchronized, even my wife liked operating it. The 4100 was nice, and easy to use, but seemed more like an oversized lawn tractor. (no offense to you 4100 owners). We've decided on the 790, which I feel will work very well for our uses. ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Doug Plourde

2000-03-20          13982

For those of you still viewing this thread, there was a last minute change. A day before calling my dealer with my decision on the 790, I came across a great JD755. 1990 JD755, 60" rear mount blower, loader, 60" mower, cozy cab, post hole digger and scraper blade. The tractor has 360 hours and is in top shape for $16,000. ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-03-21          14006

Doug - I was recently in a similar situation. After looking for a good used commpact in my price range for four months with no luck, I decided to buy a new 790. The 790 seemed to me to be the most tractor of the major brands for the money. I was about to order one but decided to give another call to a seller of a 1998 855 who I had talked to before, but he wanted too much money for it then. I picked it up with the loader, hoe and turf tires with 140 hours on it for $17,500. He is a building contractor and is replacing it with a Kubota L35. Maybe I'll give him a call in a few years when he's ready to trade up to a full-sized backhoe:) ....

JD4100 vs JD790

View my Photos
Doug Plourde

2000-03-22          14060

Darryl - Sounds like you got a decent deal on an almost new 855, good luck with your new tractor. I know I look forward to using mine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login