Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Trail Gator 6x4 will not start

View my Photos
FullyLoaded
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-10-10          180783

I have a FD620D-GS11 Kawaski in my 1998 Trail Gator. It has a pinch over 1900 hours on it. Up until a couple of days ago it ran fine just leaks a little oil and does not charge the battery at idle. I have been searching on this motor and apparently it is a propiatary motor from Kawasaki to John Deere. The output shaft has a special taper. It will not start not. I can get it to cough but that is about it. It will sometimes even backfire real bad while trying to get it to start. I have spark and I have cleaned the carb real good. I am pretty good with this kind of stuff but my knowledge of these motors is nill. Air filter is clean just will not start. I got it to start yesterday and it ran for a couple of minutes then spit and sputtered and died and that was all she wrote. Any advise would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2011-10-11          180791

A GS-11 motor in a '98 Gator seems new for that year. Does it have the long reach plugs in it? At any rate, it sounds like you have an intermittant electrical problem. One thing to check is the wire harness plugs that come out of the motor. There is a 6 prong and two 4 prong. Make sure the connectors are clean and tight. Also on one of the 4 prong plugs there is a black/white wire that goes to one of the four bolts that hold the flywheel cover on. I would remove the bolt on the flywheel cover and wire brush the connector on the black/white wire until it is clean. If that doesn't help, you may have a bad ignitor box. That's the box that has the two 4 prong plugs coming out of it. ....

View my Photos
FullyLoaded

2011-10-11          180794

No it does not have long reach plugs in it. I will clean and check all the connectors. Visual inspection they seemed fine but I will take them apart and clean them. Thanks a bunch ....

View my Photos
FullyLoaded

2011-12-05          181533

Ok connectors are good, I have been out of town on work. Is there a way to test the ignition box before just replacing parts thanks ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2011-12-05          181536

I don't know of any test for the ignitor box. It would be nice if you could borrow one from someone with a 6x4.......... ....

View my Photos
FullyLoaded

2011-12-17          181688

Unfortunatly I do not know anyone to borrow one from. Is there a coil or anything else that may be bad within the flywheel? I really do not want to pull the motor out. I thought maybe the ignition switch went bad but I tested that and it appeared fine. It is appearing that it is an intermitent spark issue. I can turn it over and it barely will cough while rolling it over and as soon as I release the key it will cough and sputter on its own and die. ....

View my Photos
FullyLoaded

2011-12-17          181689

OK New development, I have a family series SKA617U1G2RB motor. The number in my first post was the code on the motor. I removed the flywheel to inspect the stator and the magnets on the inside of the flywheel have broken off, this would explain my charging issue. I guess I will need a new stator and flywheel now. Also cleaned and checked the magnetic pickups for the ignition and they appeared clean. Could the ignition box be failing and that is what is causing the intermitent spark and backfiring? Where do I get parts for this. Do not want to go to the john deere dealer if I can help it. Thanks ....

View my Photos
fredb38

2012-01-21          182137

I have worked with the Gator Guy who is pretty sharp. He can get parts also.
http://thegatorguy.net
Go to his site and ask him. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login