Go Bottom Go Bottom

Gator CS 4x2 won t start

View my Photos
keninsc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-18          173260

I have a Gator CS (about 5 years old) that was running decent, but will not crank now. I drove it over to my parents house and my Mom tried to crank it-she said it backfired once.
It will turn over, I get a spark with the plug and there is gas going to the plug. I replaced the fuel pump last winter.
Any suggestions on where to start?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gator CS 4x2 won t start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-19          173286

When you check the plug, are you grounding the plug and getting spark between the electrode and the ground tab on the plug? Or are you holding the plug away from the motor and arcing spark between the plug and motor? First method is correct. If you are getting gas to the plug, a CS should run. It's a pretty basic motor. ....

Gator CS 4x2 won t start

View my Photos
keninsc

2010-08-19          173294

Gatoraider,
My father took it to a local guy and he checked it, so I'm not sure of which method he used in checking the spark. He also checked the compression and said it was around 70, which is kind of low. The local lawnmower repair guy said he would have to dig into the engine to find out what the problem was because he felt like it should crank based on the spark, the fuel flow and the compression.
I will replace the spark plug tonight, just in case it is the cuplrit. ....

Gator CS 4x2 won t start

View my Photos
keninsc

2010-08-20          173304

Well the new plug worked....it fired right up. But one more thing-if I press the gas all the way down when in gear, it sputters and won't accelerate unless I pull the choke half way out. But if I only press the gas pedal half way down it runs fine. I believe I read somewhere else that this could possibly be the carb. Any thoughts on this? ....

Gator CS 4x2 won t start

View my Photos
gatoraider

2010-08-20          173310

Too much air or not enough fuel on top end. Either the main jet is partially plugged or it looks like there may be a restrictor in the air intake that the mice could have opened up. It looks like the restrictors were in machines after sn 30000. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login