Go Bottom Go Bottom

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
jspec12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-16          173178

I am not sure what to make of this one. I just fixed my issue with coolant in the oil and got my new to me gator up and running. I did a compression test before I pulled the motor and got 170 on both cylinders. I put in a new waterpump and gaskets and put the motor back in. Now I am getting a fair amount of blow by. I can feel it through the dipstick and it is kinda chugging smoke. Other then that it is not really making noises or anything. I did fill up the the motor with diesel to clean it out of antifreeze but I drained it and let it sit for a day opened up. I am going to do a compression test again but any help or advice would be appreciated . Also it seems as if someone has modified the governor on my gator as It feels like it is doing about 40 not the 18 it is supposed to be doing.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-16          173179

Does the engine start normally without a lot of cranking?
A diesel that is in good shape usually will start on about the second time over especially in the summer. I don't know what the compression specs are for your engine but I guessing you are in decent shape there if it starts normally.
You mention that you flushed the crankcase with diesel fuel to clean out the antifreeze. If the engine oil is not milky from water/antifreexe and everything else seems normal then I'm guessing you didn't get all the diesel fuel out of the crankcase making the puffing you see is evaporating diesel fuel. All engines will have some blowby even when new.
Frank. ....

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-16          173180

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 173179
Does the engine start normally without a lot of cranking? A diesel that is in good shape usually will start on about the second time over especially in the summer. I don't know what the compression specs are for your engine but I guessing you are in decent shape there if it starts normally.You mention that you flushed the crankcase with diesel fuel to clean out the antifreeze. If the engine oil is not milky from water/antifreexe and everything else seems normal then I'm guessing you didn't get all the diesel fuel out of the crankcase making the puffing you see is evaporating diesel fuel. All engines will have some blowby even when new.Frank.

Frank 1st off thanks for the advice. It is a Gas motor and yes I flushed the crankcase with diesel to clean it out. This is alot of blowby. I can feel exhaust coming out of the dipstick. It starts right up with little drama and runs pretty good. It has alot of power and seems fine. The idle is a bit high but I can adjust it with the choke to get it into gear. Maybe its nothing but I do not want to sieze up the motor for something stupid. ....

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-16          173182

Sorry I took it to be a diesel engine form the title of your post "620d".
Ok, again you must have enough compression, but perhaps that is low for your gasoline engine. They will start with a ompression being a bit less close to spec than a diesel.
With the engine history of antifreeze in the crancase you may have scored cylinder walls letting the blowby be above nornal.
Does the Gator at full throttle actually go 40 or does it just seem like fourty?
I'm not up on modifying Gators to bring the top speed up. I think there are some things that can be done with different pulleys, etc., but if all that top speed was acomplished with engine RPM's you're probably lucky it runs at all.
Frank. ....

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
jspec12

2010-08-16          173186

Sorry no speedometer in the gator but I had one on my phone! official gps speed 24.98 mph. Now the issue is the throttle is sticking. Seems like it is all wired up wrong. I may have to get all new springs although it looks like a nightmare to set correctly. What was JD thinking! ....

fd620d blowby

View my Photos
spyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-17          173198

Hi there - almost 30 mph is a bit fast; should probably be just under 20, but depends on the clutch.
I seem to recall from a previous post that you have the tech. manual? I've been through the process of adjusting the governor and linkages after rebuilding one of these engines. Took a couple of attempts, but (without instruments) I got there in the end without too much drama. I too had a LOT of smoke pouring out of the exhaust at first, but it cleared after running for a couple of times (while I did the adjustments). If you take out the dipstick or the oil filler cap, you will get air puffing out. This is normal. There is a mechanism at the top of the engine that lets pressure out via a simple reed valve when the pistons come down into the crankcase, but stops air coming back in when the pistons go back up. This creates a partial vacuum in the crankcase that helps keep the oil in. Depending on the year of the machine, you may or may not have a hose running from the breather outlet to the carburettor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login