Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD gator 4x2 with Kawasaki 9hp 2003

View my Photos
theront
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-06          164705

This gator loses power when warm. We have checked compression both cold and hot and it is consistent. I have rebuild the carb, new fuel filter, new plug, new fuel lines. Have changed the belt also. I haven't replaced the fuel pump yet. I am beginning to think it is ignition related. I think the spark is dying when the engine is warm. Any suggestions on how to check this without taking to dealer? There is a module under the bed on passenger side of the frame. Is this a module for ignition?

Thanks
Theront

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-08-06          164709

The module you are talking about is probably the voltage regulator. You didn't run it low on oil and wipe a bearing sometime, did you? Does it make any different noise when it's hot? If it doesn't,does it run any better with the choke partially out. I'm pretty sure you have the new style coil on yours without the ignitor. That's about the only thing that can control the spark. I wonder if your black wire coming from the coil is hitting ground when things get warmed up, or just about hitting ground. There is supposed to be an air gap of .012" between the coil and the flywheel. Another thing is valve lash, which is pretty critical on a one cylinder motor. Both intake and exhaust should be at .005" cold. If you think it's spark it might be a good idea to pull the flywheel and make sure there's nothing wrong with the coil or stator. ....

View my Photos
theront

2009-08-06          164716

I don't know if it was run low on oil. It is the neighbors who farms. It runs good and doesn't make any noise. If you putt around on it for long time it runs fine, when you hit the road and go about 1/4-1/2 mile and hold the throttle open is when it loses power. After that you will have to let it sit for about 10mins and you will have power back again. Each time this happens it will lose power quicker and quicker. I have adjusted the carb using the air/fuel screw but makes no noticeable difference. I will try for the valve adjustment when I get ahold of it again. Thanks for your help. Theront ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-08-06          164719

It sure sounds like it was run low on oil and one of the the bearings is going away. The less bearing, the more friction as it warms up. If it's getting worse, time will tell. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login