Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD Gator 6x4 unreliable starting

View my Photos
fmswampfox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-04          164653

I have a 5 or 6 year old gator (gas) that is one of my best pieces of equipment. The one short fall is the unreliable starting. Since day one if we run across the farm at max speed, with headlights on.....when you stopped and shut it off it wouldn't start back up. It's almost as if the alternator isn't charging enough to replentish the battery. It seems a little strange that we have run it for hours starting and stopping, and it's fine. it's those long runs that seem to take more battery than it has. The local JD dealer looked at it (when about 3 weeks old) and shrugged
shoulders. now it has a new battery and it may crank tomorrow and may not. anybody else seen this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD Gator 6x4 unreliable starting

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-05          164658

Sounds to me like those long runs with the lights on are depleating voltage in the battery. Does it have an alternator? You should be getting 14 volts out of your charging system. When you hit the gas do your headlights get noticably brighter? If your battery lasted 5 or 6 years the charging system must be working some. Check all your ground connections, have to be clean and tight. If you have an alternator, make sure the belt is tight. You could have a regulator that is faulty. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login