Go Bottom Go Bottom

need Help Cleaning Carb on HPX gator

View my Photos
freddvm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-11          163961

My 2005 HPX gator Gas engine is very hard starting and very sensitive to gas pedal pressure when engine is cold (It stalls if you dont push the pedal just slightly when starting out). It also requires a lot of Choke to get started. I am thinking that the Carb is dirty and i wanted to clean it. I have never cleaned a carb before and was hoping for some advice. I am guessing I need to do more than remove the air intake and spray Carb cleaner! Any advice would be appreciated!!
i have replaced the fuel filter and spark plug recently (is there more than one spark plug on this machine?)
Fred

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

need Help Cleaning Carb on HPX gator

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-11          163962

Fred, it sounds like you have a long way to go, but I admire your desire. There are actually two cylinders on an HPX and each one has a spark plug. Did you just purchase your Gator, or did you buy it new? Does it run ok after it warms up? These machines are lean from the factory, because of EPA standards. If you couple that with the quality control section,of the air jet manufacturing company that supplies the air jets for the carbs, being non-existant, you end up with a lousey running Gator. Your Gator may call for an .056 air jet and have an .068 air jet that is stamped an .056. That's a big difference in air supply and it makes the idle mixture too lean. Some owners got lucky and have an air jet that is small enough to let their Gator idle ok.I have fixed this condition on a lot of HPXs, but I need the carb and have to put it on a Gator to do it.If your Gator runs ok after it warms up, I doubt if cleaning your carb will fix it. If it runs bad all the time, then a cleaning is in order. Sounds like your problem is just when it's cold, so I believe you have a jet problem. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login