Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Gator 4x2

View my Photos
Midnight
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-15          162774

My 2003 Gator 4x2 hesitates then surges. I just had the transmission clutch replaced but that did not stop the problem. Can anyone help me !

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere Gator 4x2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-05-16          162779

Did you replace the belt when you replaced the clutch? Your Gator should start to move as soon as you give it gas. If you have a new belt it could be carb related. Check your air filter first. Have you tried holding the choke out a little when you take off? Also, after you warm the engine, run it wide open down a road and see if it will run better with the choke partially out. Main jet could be restricted, air jet or air jet passage could be clogged. Those carbs are normally very good, but they do get dirty. ....

John Deere Gator 4x2

View my Photos
Midnight

2009-05-16          162784

Thanks for the info....I tried the choke but not any better. I thought I might have some bad gas or little particles in the line. Will try an additive in the gas and see if it will run better. If you think of anything else please advise. ....

John Deere Gator 4x2

View my Photos
Midnight

2009-05-17          162789

Is anyone having trouble w/the belt raveling. This makes the second belt that has done this. Now after the new clutch was installed the belt was completely shredded and wrapped around the clutch. The dealer said your belt may ravel some and that would be OK, but NOW it is chewed up. The belt that came w/the gator (2002) never did this...until the problem started w/the hesitation and surging. :( ....

John Deere Gator 4x2

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-05-17          162791

Does your Gator have the brace that holds the motor rigid to the transaxle? It bolts to the head on the motor and thru-bolts to the transaxle. It sounds like it isn't there or isn't securely bolted down. If it isn't there the motor will move toward the transaxle on acceleration and loosen the belt up. It can also torque the motor and egg out the mount holes in the frame. It sounds like you have an alignment problem to tear up a belt like that. The part # is AM119204, and it's called a belt guard. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login