Go Bottom Go Bottom

1952 John Deere 40-U Add External hydraulics

View my Photos
tleavitt77
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-07-14          196868

I own a 1952 John Deere Series 40-U. I would like to add an external hydraulic port (or two). Is this possible and how do I go about this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tleavitt77

2017-07-14          196869

1952 John Deere 40-U (left side transmission-under seat -Live hydraulic to 3-pt arms) ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors 1952 John Deere 40-U Add External hydraulics

View my Photos
jtdday

2017-07-15          196871

Yes you can, the line that comes out under the dash should have a coupler. Use that coupler to go into your new open Center valve that you can mount in that space between the seat and the left Axel. If you are interested in a power beyond connection now is your chance, come out of you new open center valve out put and plum that to the back of the seat and leave about 2feet of hydraulic hose with a male fitting, plug it into a female coupler and plum that line back in to the tractor under the left side of the seat. Then from the new valve plum your two lines to the back of the tractor with two female couplings that you will be using for your implements. Now you should have three female couplings and one male coupling that should be plugged into that female that goes back to the tractor. This one you can use for let's say a 3pt log splitter that has a open center valve already mounted on the unit that has a male and female coupler that connects to your male/ female that is looped behind the seat. Now you have power beyond your tractor that you can operate anything with its own valve and a set of remotes that use the new valve on the tractor. You should have this done in two days if you know how to fabricate all of your mountings for your valve and couplers in the back. Have fun ....

View my Photos
jaoneill

2017-07-17          196876

You should be able to add ports by tapping into a "supply" port on the "touch-matic" housing and the reservoir. This may require teeing into lines (not always a good idea). You would need to use open center valves. I looked through my shop manual and couldn't find any details on pump capacity and pressure, but I doubt either are very high.

I put remote ports on a 1947 "A" some 40 years ago and, although it worked for some applications, it lacked both the pressure and capacity to be really effective; when hooked to the haybine I had the haybine header "float" springs tightened down to where it only took 100-150 pounds of lift to get it off the ground.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login