Go Bottom Go Bottom

finish mower recommendation

View my Photos
luoisz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-06          43442

I have gotten very interested in the first choice line of finish mowers. Does anyone have any input as to the quality of the mower or especially the quality of the cut of the mowers. My first requirement is for an excellent quality of cut.

I plan to pull it behind a Ford 1220 17.5 eng hp. I have used my neighbors 5 ft farm king. This mower did a fantastic job. I had plenty of hp to turn the mower but my tractor was very light in the front end when the mower was raised. Farm King claims that the weight of their 5ft is 552#. First choice weight for a 6ft in less than 500#. I mow often during the summer what is the possibility of running the 6ft first choice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-06          43451

I would say a 6ft on a 17hp tractor would be stretching it way too far (even a 5ft sounds way out of line). What if something happened and you missed a week of mowing?

Another thing, about the difference in weight. The Farm King is heavier but smaller and the First Choice is lighter but bigger. It sounds to me like the Farm King is made quite a bit better. Good luck

Billy ....

View my Photos
chim

2002-10-06          43456

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but it may provide some food for thought.

As a matter of comparison, one tractor I have is a Ford 1210HST, and most of the hours on it are with a 5' Caroni RFM. The 16HP engine has handled it fine, although it could definitely use more power when mowing hills. I need the two suitcase weights that hang on the front of the Ford because of the weight of the rear mower.

This Spring I got a B7500HST, and the extra 5HP make a really big difference. The 7500 easily walks up hills in high range dragging a Landpride 5' RFM that need low range with the Ford. At one point I was considering a 6' mower, but decided on a 5'. The 5' is less likely to scalp, is easier on the tractor and fits between all of the obstacles I mow around / between. Mowing time runs about 45 minutes per acre. This tractor has a FEL, and the frame that remains when the loader is removed, combined with the weight of the tractor, provides all the weight needed................chim ....

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-10-06          43457

I run a Befco 60" finishing mower behind my Deere 670 (19 HP, 16 @ the PTO) all the time. Reckon I could use a 72" mower too, with little no no problem.

Now, this is for lawn cutting. Field mowing with a rotary cutter is a different situation altogether. I use a 48" Deere cutter for that. I could probaly sneak by with a 60" cutter since the field I clear isn't that rough. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login