Go Bottom Go Bottom

Woods 990 vs LP 3590

View my Photos
sandroost
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-29          101276

Come summer next year I'll be mowing 17-20 acres weekly for a couple of months, looking to get a better finish than a rotary cutter, and my pastures are alittle too uneven for a 10-12 footer and I don't want to spend for a multideck. Have a 52 pto tractor and not near enough time on my hands.

Any feedback on these mowers? Equivalents/suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Woods 990 vs LP 3590

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-11-30          101285

This is a lot of land to mow this often and I would say go with as large a mower as your tractor can handle. A commonly used formula for machine capacity is acres per hour equals implement width (feet) times speed (mph) divided by 10. It assumes a 17.5% loss for turning, overlap, etc. Given this, a 10' mower at 5 mph would do about 5 acres/hour. So, your 17 to 20 acres would take about half a day per mowing.

What kind of grass do you have in this acreage? Is it something you could maybe hire someone to make hay with? ....

Woods 990 vs LP 3590

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-30          101288

Sandroost; Like was said that's a lot of grass to mow. If the grass is of suitable quality for hay I'd look into selling it to someone to bale for hay and turn your mowing problem into a source of income. You'll have to buy a pretty expensive mower to do that much mowing in a short time every week plus some weekends it will be raining and not fit to mow. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Woods 990 vs LP 3590

View my Photos
bigtractor

2005-03-16          108131

I have and sell the Woods 990 and let tell ya that is one heck of a cutter.

It does not drag down like a straight blade F.M.

Yes it is costly probably about $3500 but it will last forever and of course you have "Woods Care" to back you up.

I see them all but the 990 with the quick change blades and the single duplex belt and unequaled gear box it is a tool.

Now only you know the limits of what you can run and yes a small bat wing would be awesome but if not practical so be it.

You should be able to mow at a pretty good ground speed I ran one behind a DK35 Kioti and she works great.

Just my thoughts (plug)
Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login