Go Bottom Go Bottom

Battery Switch

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-19          142233

If I install a battery switch does it matter if I put the switch on the negative line? It just turns out that this would be more convenient for me on my boat. I am losing some juice and I thought the easiest solution would be to switch the battery off when I am not using the boat.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Battery Switch

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-19          142237

Crunch; It shouldn't make a bit of difference, long as a curcit is broken it really don't matter which side of the battery you do it on. Frank. ....

Battery Switch

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-19          142238

For your purpose, it doesn't matter which terminal.

However, for grins-and-giggles, a Ford electrical engineer I worked with told me he headed a study of the effects of welding on vehicles. They found that even with the positive lead disconnected, "ground waves" from the welding could pass through the negative of anything electronic. Funny though, shops weld on mufflers all day long without no perceptible ill effects as he agreed. His advice was to place the ground lead of the welder as close to the weld area as possible to lessen stray ground waves, and thus damage to electronic components. ....

Battery Switch

View my Photos
crunch

2007-05-20          142243

Thanks Frank and EW. ....

Battery Switch

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-05-21          142307

If you are losing juice, it will still drain the battery if the drain is before the switch you install. If I am correct the drain is going to ground somehow. Just an Idea. ....

Battery Switch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-21          142310

SG: Good point (not the one on your head LOL). Another point is a wet (electrolyte bouncing out from use) top of the battery between the terminals will also drain the battery. Then there's the bad-from-the-get-go battery like I had on the dump truck. It was a Motorcraft battery--the $100 one. I had three years. It was 4-year free replacement. Turns out it had a bad internal connection and wouldn't even show it continuity. Went top exchnage it for a new one and the new ones only had a one-year replacement. That's an indicator that the company doesn't believe it will hold up after a year. Oh yeah and it's still a $100. So I changed brands and saved $15. ....

Battery Switch

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-05-22          142365

EW,

You are still the smartest man I know. Until the smartest man shows up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login