Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can you help identify this old Ford

View my Photos
flfarm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-16          96615

A friend of mine may sell me her old Ford tractor. I know nothing about tractors but need one to mow 15 acres and kind of like the idea of buying an old one until I figure out exactly what I need in a new one.

She thinks it is a 1951. It has the numbers 640 and 107837 on it. On the round "hood ornament" on the front it says 600. It looks like it was originally red.

The tractor ran until about two years ago when after many backfires and stalling out, she stopped using it. It has been out in the weather since then. It runs on a 6v battery, has four spark plugs, gas engine, a positive ground, the clutch is on the left and two brake pedals are on the right. The hydraulic lever is also on the right.

The tires are around 10 years old and have some dry rot but look o.k. to my uneducated eye. Its head was rebuilt and it had new gaskets (?) about 8 years ago. It has a homemade aluminum gas tank and is missing the front grill. It is pretty rusty but looks like it might look o.k. after a good sandblasting and paint job.

Any idea of:
what tractor this is?
the HP?
how much it would cost to overhaul it to make it somewhat reliable?
what that overhaul would cost?
what it is worth in its current state?

thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-16          96617

Your best bet is to head on over to ytmag.com and post questions on the Ford forum.
The 600 and 800 series Fords were made in the mid fifties to sixties. The 640 is listed at 28 hp. I don't know much more about it other than they were made from '54-'57. It is likely a big brother to the 8N.
The general rule for a "running when parked" cosmetically rough tractor is you'll lose money on it even if it is given to you...IF you are trying to fix it up to look nice, run smooth, not smoke, etc. Just a couple of tires, an engine rebuild, a clutch and some transmission work (not to mention paint and bodywork) and you'll have more in it than what you could buy a decent-looking work tractor for.
Price range: $1500 for a complete but rough work tractor in usable condition, to $3000 and up for a restored one.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-17          96668

The old fords did have a change in the numbers and that is what gave them the different tractors. The 611 was a sleecto speed transmission, the 631 had a transmission driven pto, 661 had a five speed transmission and live PTO. The last two numbers in your model tells you how it was equipped. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login