Go Bottom Go Bottom

9N pto

View my Photos
mitzie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-17          64155

I took cover with dip stick in off to change the relief valve for hydraulics,didnt touch anything concerning the pto.Now the pto wont engage,acts like it is stuck somehow.Any tips on what to do now.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

9N pto

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-18          64219

I think your post is a test for our new antique forum. Now that we have it I can't very well boost other boards and it's up to us to develop the expertise needed to make it a useful forum. I imagine that will come because there are good people here who have worked on the old Fords. I'm not one of them. My Ford is a mid-80's.

I just don't know enough about how things are laid out to comment except for the obvious thing that the hydraulic pump is driven from the pto. I can't exactly see a connection between the lift cover and pump drive though. I don't know if 'stuck' means the pto lever doesn't have free travel ahead of the engagement point or if it just won't engage.

Some pure speculation on my part that may connect the repair and problem together is wondering what would happen if the relief valve replacement wasn't right and it 'dead-headed' the pump. I think that trying to engage the pto in that case would be working a sliding gear against a very high pump load. Maybe it would prevent engagement, which would be a good thing. I don't if this speculation will lead to any useful thinking.

9N pto

View my Photos
pmhaas

2003-12-21          71882

The PTO shift mechanism is a fork moving a rail straight across from the inspection plate you were in. I cannot get my hand down to the pump without some incidental contact with other stuff. The most likely thing to have gone wrong is that the fork (which looks nothing like a fork) got out of position on the rail and is binding. If it was mine, I would remove the left plate (and PTO shifter) and check that the rail slides back and forth between the detents then reinstall the plate with the fork properly fit into the rail. If the rail does not move and the PTO does not spin by hand with the transmission in neutral there may be other issues, but the easiest fix is also the most likely problem. ....

9N pto

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-22          71906

That's good information, although Mitzie may not be around to read it. Hope you'll stick around. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login