Go Bottom Go Bottom

Horse Pasture Question Advice

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-31          87346

I have about 3 of my 6 acres fenced for my 2 horses and am currently looking at alot of weeds coming up. Would like to know what folks out there maybe using to help knock down the weeds without having to keep the horses off the pasture for a long period, as I have the 3 acres split into two areas. I am currently looking a a little 2-4D on the other 3 acres not yet fence. Going to get that pasture in good shape before I fence it and put the horses on it. I was told I could use the 2-4D on the exsisting pasture and only have to keep the horse off for a couple days, but I read the label and it only mentions cattle and the person who told me this does not have horse's. So if any one could share some past use of products and experience. I would appreciate it. Most are your stndard broad leaf weed. with just a few of the wild rose.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
RichM.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-03          87635

I use a 2-4D product every fall. My pasture rotation runs about 7 days. I wait that long before grazing after application and like to see a shower during that time also. Never had any problems with my horses. Proceed carefully I generally go a little weak with it as some rye grasses are subject to it and clovers. ....

View my Photos
mtruhe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-16          111132

Sorry for the belated reply but I just joined this forum. I own a boarding stable with 50 horses. As far as 24D, I love the stuff. However a vet told me to keep the horses off for a couple days after spraying. She said it changes the way the weeds taste and the horses may start eatting some of them, even if the are noxious.
On to your weed problem. Horses are the worst grazers around. They prefer new grasses and leave every thing else. Get a couple of sheep or goats as they prefer the broadleaf weeds over grasses. ....

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-30          111744

If you're seeing lots & lots of weeds, the pasture might be becoming overgrazed. Rotate the areas being sure the horses are removed when the grass is really short (rule of thumb is i think 4" or less). What's happening is the grass is being stressed too much and weeds are going nuts in the holes. Weedkiller won't solve this problem long-term. Focus your energy on keeping the grass vibrant & strong. Aerate if you can (hooves pound the ground solid). Overseed & fertilize as needed.

I have 2 horses in smaller areas too. What I'll do once the area is grazed well is remove/ breakup manure piles, then mow at a tall setting. This knocks down most weeds before they go to seed. I'll let the area rest for at least a few weeks before horses go back. Really scary (potentially toxic) weeds are removed by hand or spotspraying & keeping horses off area till sprayed plants die off. In the winter horses are on a small sacrifice area so that their prime grazing areas aren't damaged. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login