Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mud Mess Around Horse Barn

View my Photos
Toddh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-25          21813

What are the best solutions for this? The area drains modestly, but obviously not adequately. Is there some kind of dirt that drains better than others that is suitable for use around a horse barn?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-11-25          21821

Use either pea gravel, coarse sand, or cinders. Spread about 4" thick and you will not have any mud problems around the barn. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-11-26          21833

Ugh! what a problem! At least your barn has drainage. This is why barns are usually built on a knoll or hillside - and with the runs and loafing area on the downhill side. I've tried gravel and sand French drains, but the critters compact the muck above the gravel field in short order. Its a never ending task. Keep applying the gravel and that helps on some situations. Although if the slope is good, then a good underlayment of "road base" will help the surface runoff and keeps the mud away from the barn. You don't have to compact the road base; the critters will do that! I hope someone comes up with the perfect cure for this. I don't have a better one, but can sympathise.
I did see one new and expensive barn built recently with the turnout area on the uphill side of the barn. It caused a lot of conversation and head shaking among the oldtimers and locals. But on the bright side it gave the owner a perfect excuse for buying a compact tractor as well as a built in full time project for it. :-)

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-27          21859

The trouble with it is it's hard to beat! The dairy farms have it worst I think and what they do is lay in rip-rap first and then move up to a finer top for finish. the rip-rap should be about 12" which shouldn't be to hard than they will use a couple inches of #2 stone to fill the larger stones than progressing to several inches of DGB or driveway mix. That should give you the drainage and solid enough bottom that there hooves don't go thru the base and hold every thing up in the wettest of conditions. ....

View my Photos
djholm

2000-11-28          21898

If I could, I would like to offer a possible solution. There is a company at www.prestoproducts.com that offers soil containment applications that can be used to help this situation. After accessing their web page, go to Nutigard Balewrap page and go toward bottom and select 'Solving Farm Problems". Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login