Go Bottom Go Bottom

Farmall 806

View my Photos
Dieselisinme
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-01-16          185983

Hi guys,

Just am curious as to what your suggestions might be. I have a Farmall 806 diesel that I bought so cheap it could be a crime. The farmer was in a bind(not financially) and had to sell this tractor due to losing the lease on the land. The 806 was disassembled a year before I bought it and it had to be removed from the place immediately. This was not an easy thing to do and the weather at the time was very, very hot.

The engine had been taken partially apart after a valve tappet crubled and a rocker arm was bent in the process. During this catastrophic event, the engine block inside the crankcase and one piston sleeve and piston were damaged. The farmer was relying on a mechanic he had hired to attempt a repair. The rocker arm and piston were replaced and that's about as far as the mechanic got before he skipped out and took the money and ran.

I managed to get the tractor partially put back together enough to haul it. Later I dropped the oil pan to take pics of the damaged block to send some pics to machine shops to see what their thoughts were. One guy didn't think he could fix it, but he has been known to have repaired many, many damaged blocks. I'm of the opinion that when I contacted him it was very hot weather and the fact that the pics were not close up and therefore he could not see the damage that well, he spoke hastily.

Later on when the weather cooled down,I called him again and this time he said to strip the block down and bring it on in.

I've already searched several places for good blocks and the amount of money it'll take for parts, machine shop work etc, it's going to be costly either way I go.

There's an 856 I've tried to get a dealer to sell to me cheap so I can use the engine out of it, but they want $7500 for a machine that looks to be barely worth $3500.

If I could just get the original block fixed cheap enough, it would appear that maybe that would take less money and be less hastle. But, maybe y'all can offer a different perspective.

This tractor is way too good to not fix it up. And considering how little I paid for it, I'd be crazy not to.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Farmall 806

View my Photos
Dieselisinme

2013-01-16          185984

I'm hoping that going to the trouble of stripping down the 361D engine block to take to the machine shop won't be waisted time and effort. Don't want to do all that just to have the guy see it up close and then tell me he can't fix it.

When the valve tappet broke, it ground down part of the block adjacent to one cylinder, thus causing a coolant leak and a sleeve and piston. I sure hope he can fix it. Would sure save me some time and money, I hope. ....

Farmall 806

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-17          185986

There are many things that we say are just characteristic of things. The push rod trouble might be from the heead being milled to far and the relationship to the rocker arm is bad. Many engines can only handle two rebuilds before a major component might be beyond it's useable life or dimension. The 361 was able to go many hours often well over ten thousand hours befoore the first rebuild and we have many well beyond 20,000 hours. When they fail at this point many do take the block with them. ....

Farmall 806

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-01-17          185988

This was too long ago to remember any exact details but an IH dealership somewhere was offering a pretty deep discount on the first 361 engine overhaul from actual wear not neglect. As I remember the hours were in the low 20K's. They were a great engine.

Frank. ....

Farmall 806

View my Photos
Dieselisinme

2013-01-17          185989

The hour meter was still working when I bought it. Has just over 7,000 hours. The guy I got it from was the second owner and he said that it hadn't been overhauled before.

I'm still not sure what exactly occurred first during the breakdown. He said that he used the tractor every year to plow with. It had sat for a year or so without being used, as the owner had fallen and broken his hip. When he was finally well enough to climb up on it again, he started it up and began plowing and all of a sudden it just stalled. He brought another tractor out to pull it to the side and start working on it. The mechanic he hired said it was locked up. Believe it was from the rocker arm being all bent up.

Sure hope to get this thing fixed up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login