Go Bottom Go Bottom

Farmall 130

View my Photos
red130
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-10-22          185257

I just purchased a Farmall 130, runs and looks good, for $1200. the owner stated it needed a battery, it will start and run, but will drain the battery and shut off. I thought the tractor should run off the generator power after it is running and not the battery. If I pull the positive battery cable off the battery the tractor shuts down immediatley. I tested the generator and it isn't even putting out 1 volt. the voltage regulater was putting out 6 volts and the amp guage was showing it was charging. I was wondering if this tractor is a positive or negative ground? currently the battery is set up as a negative ground? any idea's? This is my first Farmall, been running Allis Chalmers.

[/p] I have no idea how to post pic's on this forum..once I figure it out, I'll post a few pic's.

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Farmall 130

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-11-09          185434

For the tractor to be going dead like this it could be the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator might also need to polarized to produce a charge. ....

Farmall 130

View my Photos
Cyrus55
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-11-09          185435

If your tractor is still on 6 volts, it should be positive ground. It shouldn't drain your battery too quickly, even if the generator is NOT working.
You can take your regulator out of the "loop" by simply attaching a wire from the F (field) terminal of the generator to ground. That will make the generator produce maximum output. The cutout relay in the regulator closes when voltage is sensed and charges the battery.
You will, undoubtedly need to polarize the generator if the battery has been hooked up with wrong ground. You do that by taking a piece of short insulated wire and quickly touching the G (generator) terminal of the regulator to the B (Battery) terminal of the regulator. You should notice a spark. That polarizes the generator. It generally works everytime.

That being said, I purchased an H which had been used as a Negative ground 6 volt and I've polarized it a number of times and never got it to charge the right direction. It is now a Negative ground 6 volt system....... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login