Go Bottom Go Bottom

Be Careful of Junk In John Deere Oil Filters

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-27          58451

While changing the oil & filter for the first time in my 2210 a couple of weeks ago I noticed some junk in the new oil filter. By junk I mean small steel chips stuck in the thread grooves and a couple of small spiral shaped chips stuck to the last (deepest) thread. They seemed to be leftovers from machining the threads into the filter that were simply never removed. Since oil returns to the engine through the center hole, this crap won’t get caught by the filter until it makes a complete round trip through the engine and back to the filter. I used a deburring tool and tweezers to clean out every bit I could see and completed the oil change.

I didn’t think much more about it until last night when I was putting away the spare filter also bought a couple of weeks ago. It too had chips in the outlet hole so I brought it along to my Deere dealer today thinking I would swap it for a clean one. The parts man checked 4 more #M806418 filters and he looked at a few of the next bigger filters on their shelf and they all had chips stuck somewhere in the area of the outlet threads.

The parts guy said there was nothing he could do and went on to say he thought the factory would laugh at him if he referred this issue to them. I’m a bit fanatical about keeping an engine’s insides clean, so I showed this to the dealership's owner who voiced his concern and said he’ll inform John Deere.

In any event, it would be time well spent to visually inspect any new JD brand filters before you install them. Thankfully bearing surfaces have a soft surface layer to absorb small particles, but the same can’t be said for rings and cylinder walls which could certainly suffer premature wear from steel particles in the oil.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Be Careful of Junk In John Deere Oil Filters

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-28          58462

Hopefully it was just that batch. I have a couple on hand as well as tranny filters and fortuneately they are fine. Its certainly a good idea to always check any filter though. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login