Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Anti-Bacterial Formula

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-07          57064

As strange as this may sound, I recently read that there has been a newly developed additive for diesel fuel systems, that will de-bacterialize the fuel system along with the usual cleaning of the injectors, yada, yada, yada.

I have heard of a variety of different additives over the years, however, none that disinfects, if you will, your diesel fuel system. Granted, every manufacturer has to have a marketing strategy - perhaps this is one of those times.

Never had diesel fuel that had a bacterial infection before...has anyone else? Your thoughts - Just curious

Willie H.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-07          57069

Wilie,
I have heard this about diesel fuel and have seen technical publications on 2 stroke oil for bacteria. the main problem is bacteria clogging filters and screens. It does sound strange that a bacteria could live in a petrolum enviroment but I did read it. I'll sniff around and see if is still in my "stack o' stuff" here and send you a copy if I can find it.
Glenn ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-07          57071

I once read but can't remember where of a bacteria that is used at oil spills to break down oil. I believe it was back during that spill in alaska, after most of the oil is cleaned the bacteria is used to breakdown the remainder. ....

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-07          57072

Glenn-D -

Soooo...There is someone else that has a "stack-of-stuff" out there besides...ME!

Be curious to read about it when you find it. I had heard about it, though to this point never really gave it a second thought as I use fuel faster than it can get "diseased" and do / show harm to the system.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-07          57073

homedad5acre -

Now that you mention it, a neighbor of mine, use to work for "Clean Harbors", a environmental waste handling company out here. He told me one time about something that dissolved oil spills etc. but again, really did not have a need to retain that particular type of information.
Some of MY injectors must have been clogged at the time so that I was unable to retain the info, don'tcha know?

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-06-08          57078

I think I read an article a few years ago about the military having a problem with bacteria "eating" their jet fuel. Maybe Chief knows more. Anyway, despite the oil/fuel contaminating bacteria stories, I've never heard of any problems with the gas or diesel fuel storage tanks at any service station, where a guy would think something like this would be a major issue. But I guess not hearing about problems doesn't mean there aren't any. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-06-08          57082

The bacteria that causes diesels a problem is a type of alge. It may be the same stuff ya-all are discussing. But I am sure it is not gonna eat gallos of fuel. That may sound good to cover a leak somewhere they can not find.

What it does do is plug filters. It should never get to your injectors, if you use good filters and change them. Fuel systems do not have, the ones we use, bypasses on them. When it plugs you are not going any where. If you take a filer apart it will have a very black residue all over the elements, if it is an alge.

There is no real special trick to getting rid or preventing it. There are many treatments sold. Caution more treatmant is not better. Some treatments are not going to go thru your filters and you will plug them more quickly.

We had a spat of it a few years ago with our fleet trucks and it only bothered 4 trucks. The filters 2 of them would plug in 3-4 thousand miles. The first filter after the seperator would plug solid the 2nd filter which is finer would have a good trace on it. The 4 trucks had preseperators and preheaters and they were not serviced like they should have been. They did have to be taken apart and cleaned.

Rumors about the distributor having bad fuel were abundant and owners took their filters to them and the distributor replaced them. The storage tanks were treated and filers installed before the pumps caught any problems and life goes on. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-08          57084

I think it takes moisture to support bacteria and algae so the problem really is old fuel and poor storage that allows condensation fo form in storage tanks. Most the algae problems I've about have been related to practices of fuel suppliers. It's good to get fuel from reasonable high-volume dealers.

Many bacteria themselves are pretty amazing. Some can be found that will 'eat' most anything--including a big chunk of the Titanic.

View my Photos
JFarms

2003-06-08          57120

I've heard algae is a problem in cold areas only. Moisture probably comes with the cold, or moisture condenses in the tank if the temperatures are right. Marine supply shops carry a diesel additive to keep algae from growing. It's also not a problem if you only store small amount of diesel for a short time. I imagine jet fuel tanks get pretty cold at times, maybe that's why they get it too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login