Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 134 Hydraulic Oil

View my Photos
Fritz Campbell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-26          31303

I did the 300+ hour front axle fluid change on my '96 1520. On the final drives at each front wheel, the drive was so full that when I removed the top fill cap it ran out all over, so when I re-filled I filled it competely full the same way, both sides. Is that OK to do or should they be filled almost to the top? There is no dipstick on the front drives, almost looks like you would check it like a transfer case or something by sticking your little finger in it. I also wanted to check with you guys on the right fluid to use. My owners manual calls for 134 Hydraulic oil for everything on this tractor (which is what I used, (except of course for engine oil), what I drained out of the drives and front axle looked to be alittle different like a gear oil (kind of a light gray color). I overfilled the front axle slightly (just a tad over the hatched marks)but its difficult to check almost a clear fluid on a polished dipstick (I don't know why they don't make them black or some other color). Thanks for any advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford 134 Hydraulic Oil

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-27          31311

Service on my 1710 is about the same. The manual recommends 134D all-around. My dealer recommends F200, which is a multi-season equivalent for use in our cold climate. There is a dipstick on the front axle fill plug of my 1710, and the proper level is down a way from the top. There also are drain plugs on the axle housing and bottom of each final-reduction gear. When I changed my oil, I found that it takes awhile for oil to get from the axle housing into the final reduction gears. The oil level dropped quite a bit after some operation. Myself, I'm not sure I'd operate it much with the case filled to the top, although I'm not certain that would damage anything. I'd probably drain it and put in the amount speced by the manual. Then, I'd fashion a dipstick from wire or a stick to see where the proper level should be. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login