Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Injector Pump

View my Photos
JiminGA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-10          30846

I recent;y put a new crank in my 801. The problem has to do with the injector pump. I have been cranking on this thing for a week, and I don't think the injector pump is working anymore, but I want to be sure before I replace it. When I remove the return line and crank it over, I get a very weak stream out of it. Is this normal?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Injector Pump

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-11          30864

I'm guessing the question is that the engine won't start, and the return line is a side-issue. If you haven't already, I'd verify there is adequate fuel flow to the pump, not just to the filter bowl. I'd verify that the control rod moves from the off position. And, I'd loosen the injector line fittings and crank the engine long enough to ensure the lines are bled or verify that fuel isn't reaching the injectors. If those things are done and there is no fuel to the injectors, it sort of points at the pump. However, I don't trust coincidence much. If the pump was working and then never worked following tear-down to replace the engine crank, I'd suspect something about the tear-down. I'll save everybody from much empty speculation since I don't know the tractor. However, there are questions like: Was the pump drive correctly reassembled? Could an incorrect mounting of the pump on the engine prevent the drive from fully engaging? Could incorrectly mounting the governor hold the control rod in off? I don't know, but I think that if nothing happened between a working pump and a not working pump except an engine tear-down, I'd suspect the tear-down first instead of the pump. On the other hand, if there is some fuel flow in the return line, that would seem to indicate that the pump is turning and there is flow to the to the injector pump. Whether the turning and flow are adequate is another question. I don't think there should be much flow in the return line if the engine isn't running. ....

Diesel Injector Pump

View my Photos
JiminGA

2001-08-12          30890

Thanks for all of the input. Ended up pull starting, one trip around the pasture and it fired right up. Guess all the cranking just could not get the air out. Seems to run fine now. Thanks again, Jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login