Go Bottom Go Bottom

Does brand of diesel fuel make a difference

View my Photos
Mike S.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-11          28062

Since I live in a suburban area (was rural a few years ago), there are fewer choices of brands of diesel fuel. One of my concerns is that most of the major brand filling stations may not sell enough diesel to keep it from gathering moisture or not sell enough that in the middle of the summer I would still be purchasing winterized diesel. The person behind the desk never knows when they last received a load of diesel either. The ONLY truckstop within a short drive is a Flying J, which appears to be very popular with 18 wheelers. There are no COOPs within easy driving distance. My question then, is: how good is diesel fuel that may be months old and can its use be a potential problem to my compact diesel tractor?? Mike S.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-12          28071

Morning Mike, The brand should not make any difference. Name brand companies try to make sure you will have the best product. Problem with long storages is an fungus/algie (ain't looking it up either) that grows in fuel oil, most companies are very agressive in their testing and treating this. Nothing spreads faster than truck drivers whinning about bad fuel. It plugs your filters. Doesn't hurt engines except starves them for fuel. Your truck stop is the best place for quality fresh fuel, major brands will also be good. Most buy directly from a refinery or major distributor. I see no problem running winter grade fuel in the summer "UNLESS" You are working you tractor at "FULL POWER" for extended time ie: heavy brush hogging, plowing, chopping, or on a blower. Just piddling around the home and mowing the lawn weekly gives me no concern. BTW I use regular ole heating oil, which is (where I'm located) red dyed off road fuel. My thought is if it works good in our company $300,000+ Caterpillars it is good enough for my little dinky JD. As a side thought I've never seen any one here mention changing their fuel filters. In my and several top diesal mechanics opnions (from our shop) the fuel filters are equally or more important than your oil filters. It is your best insurance for full power when you need it and less hassle. Ask any heavy truck driver about stranded trucks. 9 outa 10 times its the fuel filter. Home owners and farmers don't have quite so far to walk to get it fixed. ....

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-12          28077

No, you have nothing to worry about.
Most gas stations turn their inventory a LOT faster than you would imagine. The "stale fuel" thing is mostly just a legend now, as non-viable stations have all closed.
-DonM, gas station owner and supplier ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-12          28083

Since we live a ways from town, we keep gas and diesel in sealed containers in a shed on the back of the property. It is cool and dry in there, and it isn't uncommon for fuel to sit for longer than a year. I always try to use it up before it gets more than a couple of years old. There isn't one bit of difference in how the older fuel works in any machine. I am careful about filtering it when using this fuel, and the containers are sealed tight. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login