Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Josef Krause
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-10          18713

Wondered if a thread would get started on the use of diesel additives that are worth using if any are. A search of the board didn't turn up any past discussion.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
TomG

2000-08-11          18723

I thought there had been a discussion here. My take is that an additive is a must in cold climates for preventing gelling of #2 diesel. Some people mix #2 with #1 (which doesn't gel), but #1 diesel produces less power than #2. I think it's easier to just use an additive than to mix fuels. Institutional backup generators around here use #1 diesel year around, which is unfortunate since the supplier is the only source of off road diesel near by.

Another issue is injector pump lubrication. Most additives contain an injector pump lubricant. Sulfur content in fuel helps lubricate the pump. The low sulfur requirements for road diesel in recent years virtually eliminated that source of pump lubrication. There may be different opinions here, but injector pumps for newer tractors may be engineered for low sulfur fuel. Pumps on older tractors are not, and use of an additive is a good idea.

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-11          18730

I suppose there are several reasons for using an additive in your fuel. Some of the claimed benefits are lubrication and cold weather gel prevention, as TomG mentioned, as well as algae prevention and moisture dispersion. So, even though I live in the hot country, I buy my diesel in a 55 gallon barrel and add a pint of Power Service additive to the barrel each time I refill it. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-11          18734

My 336D was running poorly at top RPM. I Figured that there was probably some carbon formed in the pre-combustion chamber which was shielding the injector so I bought a litttle can of B&G diesel additive and injector cleaner ($20!!!).. I measured it out as per instructions for a couple of months - but it didn't seem to be doing anything so I just dumped all the rest (about 1/2 the can) into the fuel tank. Sure enough, about a year later - after maybe 3 tanks of UNTREATED diesel later - the problem went away.
Did it have anything to do with the B&G? I don't know! If it did; it sure took its own sweet time about doing it. On the other hand, I can't complain about the results....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-08-12          18760

Bird, it's time to pick your brains again. How do you transfer your fuel from the 55 gallon barrel to the fuel tank and how do you handle the barrel when it's full. I'm getting tired of lugging around 6 gallon cans. I was going to get a 150/200 gallon tank like I use at the farm but there isn't any place convenient to put it at the house where it wouldn't be an eyesore. It would also take me a long time to use 150/200 gallons on my little Kubota and I'm worried about it going stale but 55 gallons might be workable. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-12          18765

Frank, I have a cheap (about $25) lever action pump on my barrel. I got it at Gebo's, but I think Tractor Supply Co. and Northern Tool have about the same thing. And I just use my front end loader to put the barrel in the pickup to go get it filled, and to set it back out when it's full. I used to just get the barrel as far into the bucket as possible and throw a chain around it to move it, but now I have the barrel sitting on a small pallet and use my pallet forks so I don't even have to mess with the chain. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-12          18766

Frank, I forgot one thing; the spout on my little pump came threaded for an ordinary garden hose to attach, so I use about a 6' piece of garden hose to pump the fuel into the tractor. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Norm

2000-08-13          18803

I also use and additive - Dee-Zol Plus which is a lubricant and anti-gel. I am very happy with it. Although expensive ($20/qt), the dilution rate is 1 oz to 10 gal so a quart of the stuff is going last me a very long time around the house. As far as pumping, I use a lever hand pump (sounds like the same one) from Northern for about $25. It works fine. In fact, I replaced the short pipe with a long one and put it into my 550 gal home heating tank. I make sure that I don't drain my transfer containers completely so that I have a couple of ounces for priming. It takes a little practice when cleaning up to empty the pump and clean everything up without spilling oil all over. After a couple of times to get the routine down, I now don't spill a drop. Couple this practice with a good additive and no more annoying trips to the gas station. One problem with the pump when I got it - the o-ring packing on the rod was useless: oil would leak out with each stroke. So, I took out the o-ring and replaced it with a few wraps of cotton mason line; snugged down the packing nut; and it works great with no leaks. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-08-13          18806

Thanks guys. I'm not proud, I'll steal anybody's good ideas. I have picked up so much good advice and helpful techniques from this board over the past year or so. ....

Diesel Additives

View my Photos
Stan

2000-08-14          18834

Boy do I feel dumb. I have also been toting 5 gal containers back and forth, to and from town. I didn't even think about the 1000 gal tank I walk past (or over) everyday. I always fill my home heating oil tank every August, and never have had less than 400 gals when filled. Thanks for the idea - a great solution for fueling my tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login