Go Bottom Go Bottom

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
mebumich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-19          132387

Hi Everyone, I discovered water in my diesel fuel, in my fuel tank on the tractor. I can drain the tank by disconnecting its hose at the fuel filter (it drains by gravity at that point). But, I can't get the tractor (New Holland TC40) to start. So, I think water is in the injector lines. (I've already emptied out the fuel filter, and it was full of water). How can I get the water out from the fuel/injector lines between the filter and the engine? And, then, am I going to have to bleed the injector lines? How? Is this hard to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-19          132411

I did this the other day with my TC33D too. Just drain the filter bowl like you did, clean the filter, reinstall. Turn on the fuel valve. There may be a bleeder bolt on top of the injection pump, open it. Loosen one or two of the injection line fittings at the pump. Crank the engine a few seconds at a time until fuel comes out of the bleeder and tighten. Continue cranking until it starts or sputters. Turn off and tighten the fuel line fittings at the injector pump. Restart and yer all set. ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
mebumich

2006-07-20          132415

Hey Thanks Earthwrks! I'll try that...it sounds pretty simple. Thanks again!! ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
mebumich

2006-07-21          132450

Hey Earthwrks, You were exactly right! After I bled the lines at the injector pump, she fired up right away! I drained the rest of the bad fuel and am back to full cutting power!!! Thanks again! ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-21          132452

Glad to hear it worked---not that I had doubts since it worked for me LOL! ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-21          132476

I love a happy ending. ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-21          132477

Group hug?

Seriously though, New Holland diesel engines, and the ones New Holland uses in the equipment I own, I have found if you run the them out of fuel (not like this case where there was water in the fuel), you can refuel them without bleeding or priming. Just simply crank them several times and they'll start right up. Maybe modern diesels aren't like the ones of yore where that wouldn't work. But I'm jis' sayin'... ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-21          132482

I replaced the fuel filter on mine, it was so tight I had to remove the mounting bracket and put it in a vise to get it loose. Reinstalled it and the tractor would not crank. I thought I was going have to use your method. But first i filled the filter up with fuel reconnected everything and it fired right up.

Maybe there is a way to keep up with the successess that we have on TP. When we help someone, solve a problem, come up with a method. Like a score board. ....

Water in Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-23          132543

Like a score board.

When I worked in a shop the boss had a system like that: (1) "Attaboy" equals (10) "Awshit"s. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login