Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need info on Wedge shaped 18 wheeler

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-03          132920

Back in 78, I was crossing I-80, heading East and I was stopped somewhere in the Midwest. My wife and I both saw a tractor trailer heading West and the funny thing about the tractor was it was a Wedge shape and was lower than the trailer, the driver seemed to have had to drive while somewhat inclined on his back.
Does anyone have any info on these trucks, I would like to find a photo on the internet, but have had No luck searching "odd photos of 18 wheelers etc" maybe if I had a name I could find it better.
Thanks.
Several years ago I was told they are still being used in England, I think.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-04          132974

I saw one in Mechanic's Illustrated back in '76 or so. It was in the UK. This type of truck allowed a shipping container to sit on top of the cab and the wheels behind the cab. I could have been a semi-truck trailer too---if that were the case there would have to have been a retractable road wheel which wouldn't be needed if the semi-trailer tires were in use.

In my creative/inventive stage in my life I sketched something like it that had the "cab" as a self-propelled, self-contained unit that turned the semi-trailer box, suspension and tires into a truck once the "cab" connected to from underneath to the 5th-wheel pin. I came up with other ideas that used 4 steering wheels instead 2 with a caster in the back.

To do a search you prorbaly need to use the right nomenclature that fits the UK such as lorry or lorey for truck. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-08-05          132997

Earth

Thanks for the info,m good points. I will try a search wit your recommendation.
I spoke to someone who thought they may have been built by White's, do you have any idea who may have made the ones used in the U.S.?
KW,

It is still early, probably by the 10 th post or so, it will become hostile. SMILE ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-05          133002

WW: It was a european company that was featured in either Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated. mIt was one of thise little blipstowards the rear of the mag that took up enough space for a 2x2" photo and a caption. As I reacll the truck was about 4 feet tall or wahtever it would take to fit under a european semi trailer. I t was touted as a space saver for the crowded city streets since it didn't need a tractor out front to pull it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133046

Weyerhauser plywood had some odd looking trucks out that were crossing the country about that time in an effort to increase fuel economy. I can't think of who made them but I ran across them about a year or so before that on the highway. I know they caught my eye as looking different from anyone elses or anything seen since! ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-08-07          133047

Earth & Art

I am still searching and have no luck as of yet. I know they exsisted, I saw the dang thing.
Thanks for all your input. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133067

There were some other make companies like Hendrickson back then and it might have been with a Strick trailer. It might have been in Popular Mechanics that I first saw one when I saw it I believe it was in Chicago area and they only worked the west coast. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-07          133074

Art I believe you're right it was a Strick trailer. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-07          133079

I know it was a different configuration then anything I'd seen and it was at a toll booth and the talk on the CB at the time was that they only ran the west end of the country. It sure was a lot lower then the 2070 International that I was running a the time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login