Go Bottom Go Bottom

Shift problems

View my Photos
shopmanjim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-21          46415

I have a 1995 Chevy full size p/u. It has the 5.7 liter v8 with an automatic tranny with overdrive. Here is the problem: When the tranny shifts into 3rd gear I can hear a clang noise, it's not real bad but it's there nonetheless. Also, every time it downshifts into 1st gear (appox. 11mph) I can hear the same clang sound. I've had other chevy trucks and never heard this sound. The truck has 53,000 miles on it and I take very good care of it. I had it checked out at a tranny shop and they said they could hear it but that nothing was wrong. I know something is wrong but can't figure it out. I replaced the U-joints but it didn't fix the problem. Can anybody help me with this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Shift problems

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-22          46430

Sounds like the same sounds I get from my '89 F150 TX when it shifts into over-drive and sometimes in lower gears. It did it both before and after the TX was rebuilt. The u-joints were new and the drive shaft re-balanced at the time. A guy at the TX shop said it's due to the type torque converter used.

I have found that allowing the TX to go back into overdrive just before cresting a hill and also giving it a shot of accelerator before letting it go into OD minimizes the clunk.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login