Go Bottom Go Bottom

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
Jess
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-10          44834

I need to know the most economical place to buy a hyd. pump for my 446 Case garden tractor. Any help in this matter would be greatly aprieciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
Anderson

2003-05-31          56087

Your best bet is to buy a kit to rebuild the pump. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-01          56129

I'm wondering why the pump needs rebuilding and what type pump it is? Finding a kit could be a problem. My Ford repair manual says the pumps aren't serviceable and the parts manual doesn't have part numbers for internal parts. People with older farm tractors do talk about having pumps rebuilt, and the success of a rebuild may depend on the problem and pump type.

My pump is a gear type and that's the most common type used on compact tractors. A rebuilding problem for gear pumps is that the seal between the housing and gears has to be close for the pump to withstand high pressures, but the housing wears over time. Just replacing the gears on a old pump may not restore adequate performance. I don't know if typical pumps on compacts use pressure plate seals for the gear to housing seal or if these are replaceable but that's a rebuild possibility.

Bushings, drive gears etc. probably are available or could be made by a machinist. I suspect that just replacing the bushings on an old pump may make its efficiency worst instead of better. High pressure forces the gears against the housing to create the seal. New bushings would likely hold the gears further from a worn housing.

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
mmc

2003-10-22          66817

I found a direct replacement pump at Northern. I actually replaced my 8 GPM pump with a 15 gpm. Doubles the ground speed. Low gear still has enough torque for any appliction. High range tops out at 15 mph ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-23          66874

Sounds like a good outcome. Take care on that new speedy tractor and don't let it throw you. If a relief valve is part of the new pump, you might think through an idea if the new pressures are appropriate for the old TX. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
gltrap54

2004-03-18          80344

I also own a 1988 446 Ingersoll with the seals out of the pump. The shop tells me it's $300 labor to replace the seals. Is it worth it? ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-19          80382

Tough to say. I'd think in terms of what the alternatives cost. One alternative might be buying manuals and parts for a do it yourself try.

I tend to want to keep my old stuff going because patched up old stuff tends to out last new box store quality replacements. However, I might have to give up on an old snow blower. Even if I can find replacement fan shaft bearings, the engine compression tells me that I'd be throwing new drive parts in the face of an engine that's going to demand attention pretty soon. I think it needs placement in a home for retired equipment. Well maybe since the tractor blower does most of the work the walk-behind already has a retirement home and is now reduced to arguing for space in the garage. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tanktank

2004-06-20          88954

I would like to ask anybody to answer this for me. My tractor is working slowly. /.//646/// It doesn't work in high gear in the rear. In low it will work but not go up steep hills. The loader is slow with no real power. A new pump was put in before I got it. A 15 gpm from nothern. Does anybody have any answers. Does the new pump have a control valve too. Thank you. Any help would be appreciated. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-21          89001

I don't know the tractor but it sounds like it has a HST and a pto pump for the loader. I don't know if the tractor has always worked that way since you've had it.

The only think I can think of that might connect the two problems is if the pump/loader isn't connected right any it's always running against relief pressure load. If that's the case then you might disengage the pto and see if that improves power. I'd also ensure that the brakes aren't dragging. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tanktank

2004-06-21          89032

I have a case 646 loader. Everything works , but slowly. If anyone has any ideas please tell me. Thank you. I already tried the control valve underneath. It seems not to be that. If anyone had evere remedied this I would appreciate some input. Thank you all. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tanktank

2004-06-21          89033

I will try this but that does not seem to be the problem. The brakes are not needed when I use just the loader. I tried at a stand still to put pressure on the lift and it done so very slowly. So it seems everything works but slowly. Thank you and please keep helping. Thank you all again. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tanktank

2004-06-21          89034

I will try this but that does not seem to be the problem. The brakes are not needed when I use just the loader. I tried at a stand still to put pressure on the lift and it done so very slowly. So it seems everything works but slowly. Thank you and please keep helping. Thank you all again. ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
bottoml1

2004-06-21          89105

This sounds good. This is for case 446 hydro pump - correct. Please provide the contact info for Northern - who are they?

Thanks ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
w.a.

2004-07-05          90160

i have a hydro pump for a 222 case if that will work for any of you, i will sell it. email me at ahrens37 at hotmail dot com. and let me know. thanks ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tanktank

2004-08-05          92800

Hi, does that 2 stage pump still work in the tractor. Did you have to adjust the pump in any way. Thank you... ....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
Ray146

2017-06-19          196749

Hey could you do a solid...What pump Number did you use from Northern I have been bitten with the same issues and I am getting the fish hook around to the tune of at a minimum $780 buying a new pump to install would be so much easier thanks for that,,....

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
Ray146

2017-06-22          196768

Me I have decided to go ahead rebuild the main Hydraulic pump. It is a 485 investment to include shipping but however in my situation well worth the investment. I`ll have $1900 total invested. I have priced today's similar for my needs mower/blade included $19000 yes 19 thousand. If i fix it up throw on agri tires later I`ll still have like $2100 no doubt if sold later it`ll fetch close to $3000 if not more.

Case 446 hydraulic pump

View my Photos
tprowan

2017-07-07          196820

Do you remember what model you ordered from Northern. What is the full company name for Northern and where is it located. I'm in Canada and not familiar with the name. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login