Go Bottom Go Bottom

case 530 CK

View my Photos
kkocher13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-24          168777

I'm looking at a case 530CK. First let me say its pretty rough. Its been sitting for about 20 years and its pretty rusty. When it was parked the owner said it needed to have the hydraulic seals re done, but it ran fine and the hydraulics still did work somewhat. From what they knew it needed some brake work as well. I'm wondering if its worth it to take this kind of a project on. They said they would sell it to me for 500. I could probably talk them down a little, but I'm wondering if this is a project that is worth taking on. I'm pretty good with the engine. So I have faith that I can get it running again, but I don't know a lot about hydraulics and what I might be in for. Does anybody have any idea what it might cost to get the hydraulics redone on one of these. I don't want to buy it if I have no hope of fixing it for a reasonable price.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

case 530 CK

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-24          168778

It would be like buying a pig in a poke. Without it actually running you have no idea what has or was bad---radiator, all pumps, battery, starter, valves, hoses, cracked block, burns oil, siezed up, and the list goes on. So far the estimated cost could top $4G.

When I buy stuff like this I balance the purchase price against what I can resell it for either in part or in whole. Rarely do I find something that was not running that I really make out on---but it happens.

Even if it's not running in the right market you might get as much as $2,500 as-is---providing it is a backhoe loader.

It's probably worth more in parts than assembled. Scrap value is about $500-600 my guess.

case 530 CK

View my Photos
kkocher13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-24          168784

I can get the scrap value out of it for sure and it is a backhoe loader. Lets just say I needed to redo all the hydraulics. On average what do you think that would run? I think if I could get it for about 250-300 it might be worth it. Then I could just tinker with it and maybe get it working. ....

case 530 CK

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-24          168787

Saying "just the hydraulics" takes in all kinds of scenarios: hoses could be $60- $200 each depending on size and length; pump possible $300 to $1000 depending on type and availability; valving rebuild up to $500 or new $1000; cylinder rebuild $75 if you do it yourself; hydraulic fluid about $150-250; loose pivot pins and bushings DYI $200-600; rebuilt radiator $500-800; new tires and rims (why stop now) $1500; new seats $250; new brakes $xxx; DYI paint job (hey you have new tires and comfy seat so why not); new alternator $100; new starter rebuild $150; replace bad wires $50; do-dads $200; new battery $150; engine rebuild parts alone $800. If diesel and needs injector and pump rebuild $2000.

Before even putting a dollar into it, see if it will turn over. If it does then try to get it running by dumping $5 worth of fuel. Get it running then be prepared to get a second mortgage. Around here SW of Detroit 20 miles a decent, 40-50 year old TLB goes for about $3000 on a good day.

Just something to think about: if you don't mind nickle and dime on something you'll neve be able to fully use until it's done ---get it. But if you don't have the time, place or the inclination-- stay away, save the money and buy something you like that is new of a few years old.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login