Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
k9fletch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-21          71811

I purchased a used Dearborn rotary cutter this summer, the deck is in great shape, and it cuts everything that I have come across, but the gear box leaks in the worst way. I can't get more than a few hours of cutting with out adding some gear lube, and then it continues to leak when it is at rest.(until its empty!) The main seals are shot, is it worth rebuilding? and if it is does anyone know if parts are available?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-21          71827

Those kinds of parts are pretty genaric. Take it apart and take the bearings and seals to a good quality auto parts store or match up the numbers or go to your ag dealer to match up. ....

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-21          71828

Generally most anything is rebuildable. I don't know how proprietary Dearborn implements were but likely OEM seals that'd work could be found--might take an equipment shop to find them though. Generic seals might even work or there's some tricks. Old type 'rope seals' they sometimes could be fixed by replacing the rope or simply driving shim material underneath the old rope to save on tear down--that's an old rear main engine seal trick.

I hate to make referrals from here but somebody on Yesterday's Tractors may have solved this problem before. Wish I could be of more help. ....

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
bmocad

2003-12-21          71835

If you go with the rebuild go all the way and replace bearings. they may appear ok but a little play will take out the new seal too after a short time. ....

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-22          71898

What BMO says is true. I think a test for worn gears is excessive backlash. Excessive bearing run-out is another issue. Specs are needed but an experienced tech likely could tell just by wiggling it. Backlash on some gearboxes is adjustable by shimming. Some bearing clearances are adjustable by pre-load settings.

My notion is that a trip to a good TX shop might save time and money thrashing around for new parts. However, if the box can't be completely checked out it'd be good to put in new everything. ....

Rotary gear box rebuild

View my Photos
k9fletch

2003-12-23          71978

Thanks for all the advise! A friend said he thinks he can get some generic bearings but also recomended having everything checked out at a shop to make sure it was just a seal and not something more drastic. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login