Go Bottom Go Bottom

Brush Hog advise

View my Photos
sstan@us.ibm.com
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-08          35404

I have a Kubota L225 and am looking for a used brush hog and need advice. What size should I be looking at (5' or 6'). I have a line on a 5'ft hog but the guy selling it saiys it may be too big for the HP of my Kubota. He also said it only has one blade and I thought they had 2 or 3?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brush Hog advise

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-02-08          35406

I believe the L225 has about 20-21 PTO HP. I don't think that is enough to run a 6 footer. I run a 6 footer on a JD 950 with 27 PTO HP. It handles it pretty well, but I feel it is at the low end of the required HP range for that size cutter.
The single blade model must have a double ended blade like a lawn mower. I think most now have a stump jumper (large center disk) with 2 or more short blades attached to it. The short blades attached to the center disk can pivot when they hit something solid, taking some of the shock out of it. ....

Brush Hog advise

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-09          35420

A lot of the decision depends on what is going to be cut. Many rotary cutter manufacturers make light, medium and heavy-duty models in each width. The duty refers to maximum diameter material the equipment is designed to cut. Light duty usually is up to 1" material.

The tractor probably is within the recommended HP range for many 5' light duty models, but recommended HP for medium and heavy models increases drastically. Of course, a heavy-duty cutter can be used on a smaller tractor to cut grass. However, then the tractor is carrying the greater weight of a heavy-duty model needlessly. The weight of some cutters may exceed a small tractor's 3ph capacity and the PTO shaft shear pin may be too heavy for the PTO drive. some people prefer a cutter that has a slip clutch rather than shear pins even though slip clutches require a bit of adjustment and maintenance.

In general, most people want a cutter that's wide enough to cover their rear tire tracks. Some people need to cut bush that contains sizable saplings with a small tractor. They may select a narrower but heavier duty model.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login