Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sickle Bar for JD 670

View my Photos
Roy Jackson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-01          32887

I'd like some opinions and experiences on using a sickle bar on the 670 model John Deere.Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Sickle Bar for JD 670

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-02          32905

On the small compacts one of the things you need to be concerned with is the stability of the tractor when the mower is down. We had a fellow that put his fathers 9' cutter bar on a large B-series Kubota. It had more than enough power to run it, but had a lot of leverage on it when down, and he was fine with caution until he was mowing a bank and wanted to raise it nearly rolling the tractor over. There is a company by the name of Sitrex that builds 5' sickle bar mowers that we use for compacts. They use a belt drive system that is just like the bigger brand names we sell and they are priced reasonable compared to others. ....

Sickle Bar for JD 670

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-03          32918

Roy I use an "OLD" JD b (I think) 6ft cut. It/I converted it for 3pt. I only use it a couple of times a year to trim under the low branch pines. Unless you have a special purpose in mind sickle bars are a pain to maintain, ask any old farmer who used them to trim pastures. I sometimes also trim the ditch banks and along the road also. Knives get loose, re riviting, guards get bent. Knives break. As Art mentioned the 5-6 ft belt drive would probably be the way to go, but the loose knives and guards are a fact of life. However as I said I only use that old $25.00 converted mower a couple of times a year and use lots of TLC and old motor oil (I can hear tree huggers whine now) on the cutting bar for storage and while cutting dry grass. ....

Sickle Bar for JD 670

View my Photos
Roy Jackson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-03          32927

Here's what I've got:
~3 acres, one cleared and 1 wooded. The rest is overgrown with heavy brush including vines. The brush is encroaching on the cleared area and starting to choke soem small (6'-8') evergreens on the edge on the cleared area. I want to clean out most of the brush.
Being new to the compact tractor world, I thought a sickle bar would be my best bet....what are my other options?

Thanks for the answers, folks! ....

Sickle Bar for JD 670

View my Photos
Art White

2001-11-03          32929

I'd get a bush-hog style mower as they are cheaper to begin with and if you back them in under the vines you would be able to knock them back. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login