Go Bottom Go Bottom

Belarus 250AS engine problems

View my Photos
spearsl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-21          168735

I have a Belarus 250AS that I use on my small farm and it has been a great tractor for gardening, scraping and mowing. However with no warning, I had just finished cultivating the rows in my wife's garden and was headed back to the barn when the tractor just shut down and the engine will not turn over. I was traveling slow and the engine was running fine. There was a small metal to metal sound right when it shut down. As you might guess this happened at the end of last year and it has just been sitting waiting on me to fix it. Since spring is almost here I thought I better get started.

Any one have thoughts on where to start first?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-02-22          168744

A metal to metal sound and the engine shut down. Is the engine locked so it can't be turned by hand or starter?
Lots of things can have those symptoms, a rod or main bearing can spin then lock, a broken connecting rod, a timing gear or chain has broken letting the valves contact the piston tops, etc., etc., none of these are cheap fixes. Have you taken the oil drain plug out to see what comes out?
Loosen the oil drain plug to the point just before it comes out to see what comes out first. A bit of water is normal from condensation, or if a lot of water or antifreeze comes out before any oil. Are there any other things that may have seemed different that might give us a better idea? ....

View my Photos
spearsl

2010-02-26          168843

Thanks for the response -- It will not turn with the starter and I did not want to force it manually. I actually drained the oil to see that I might find but it looked good. No water or extra parts. The shutdown was instant with the small metal sound. I was moving very slow when it happened. I thought I would pull off the oil pan first and then go from there. All suggestions are welcome. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-02-27          168848

No water in the oil would rule out a broken sleve if it is a wet sleve engine. I don't know what else to suggest other than pulling the oil pan for a look around. Someone else here might have some ideas too, hope it's not too bad when you find it. ....

View my Photos
vladimirec

2010-03-01          168893

First of all this is an air cooled engine so there can't be a water leak... If You have some skills You could remove oil pan to inspect crankshaft,piston rod and oil pump.if all parts are fine remove the engine head to see if valves ain't broken.It's pretty simple two bolts on valve cover and 4 bolts on head. ....

View my Photos
spearsl

2010-03-01          168899

Thanks for your response. Actually that was exactly my plan of attack if no one had a better suggestion. I will post what I find. I actually have 2 of the tractors just alike except one has power steering and one does not. What I have learned about these tractors is that there are little tricks that if you know then you can save a lot of time. I was hoping someone had this happen to them and had input that would save me some time. Based on the size of the engine it should not take long to tear it down.
Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
JROMIE

2010-08-04          172824

PULL YOUR CYLINDER HEADS OFF. SOME TIMES THE PISTON RINGS WILL SEEZE UP IN THE CYLINDER. HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME. HAD TO GET NEW PISTON, RINGS,AND CYLINDER. WHILE I HAD IT TORN DOWN I CHANGED THE ROD BEARINGS. AND THE RINGS ON THE GOOD PISTON. VERY CHEAP COST $500. FOR EVERYTHING.

View my Photos
ditaravi

2011-06-13          178980

I am curious - can someone please let me know how to turn the engine manually? ....

View my Photos
jdupuy

2012-04-23          183293

The same thing happened to me. What it turned out to be was a valve spring retainer broke and allowed the valve to drop which came in contact with the piston. Broke the piston, the jug, the injector, and the head. It cost about $1500 parts and labor to fix. Seems to be ok now and have run it for a year since. While it was apart I put new rod and main bearings in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login