Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone use a Ball Hitch on a Power-Trac

View my Photos
Griff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-27          32067

I'm Looking at getting a PT (400 series) and noticed the rear plate for attaching small items is rather narrow. The sales person at PT inidcated that the hole could be drilled out, or they have an extension piece that is used to mount a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. This way you can pull a small trailer, log splitter etc. that you also pull behind a truck in addition to the usual garden items that attach with a pin.Has anyone tried this on a a 400 series machien? Does the handling change since the wieght is now on the back, not the front of the machine? Is the effective toung weight usable (does the whole think bend if it has any significant wieght put on it)?I'm looking to visit the plant next week and am attempting to get some real world answers. Also, any comments on the maintenance / servicability of the machine would be appreciated. Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
david godollei

2001-10-01          32163

Griff, I am interested in the PT425. I have sent for the video and literature but they haven't arived yet. I started looking at compacts around 20HP and ran across these machines. Looks like it will be able to do all I need; mow, small loader, snow removal. The only thing that concerns me is the lift height on the 400 series. I need to be able to dump into a pickup truck bed(see other posts) that is 4' high. When you are at the plant, could you please check it out? The lift height is published at 54". I wonder how the bucket affects this? As far as a ball hitch goes, it would be handy. Maybe a reciever tube could be welded in place and you could change hitches to suite the trailer? As far as maintenance, I thought it was pretty cool to use the same oil in the engine and hydro. Saves another space on my shelf. Read on the Kholer web site that the engine has a 15 amp alternator, which should run a reasonable light for night snow removal, etc. Look forward to your posts. ....

View my Photos
Griff

2001-10-02          32166

Seems like everyone goes through the same process. Start looking, come accross PT on the web, and start digging for everything they can. I'll check on the height for loading a pickup from the side, although I won't have that need myself. Perhaps some others out there can comment on this.

As for mounting a ball hitch, my understanding is they have a small extension piece that bolts to the back to put the ball a few more inches out from the frame to allow clearence for larger hitches. I'm just wondering what the effective rating at the toung would be under this configuration. I did receive a call from Bryan who had also posted here (same process 10 months ago). He loves that machine and has made his own hitch... no problems hauling a trailer of dirt around, so it may not really effect the machines performance.

I find it amazing when comparing the stats to JD, Kubota, Ingersol, Steiner, Ventrac etc. It will be fun to check these things out in person. I am also really getting attached to the idea of eliminating belts as part of any PTO.

I'll let you know what I find out. ....

View my Photos
Brent Griffith

2001-10-03          32187

David,

I don't know if you ever got an answer on the height question, but I have the PT422 which is physically the same in overall dimensions as the PT425.

I checked mine, and the 52" height is to the bottom of the lowest part of the bucket (angled corner near the back bottom of the bucket) when the lift is all the way up. Once you tilt the bucket to dump, the lowest part is about 28" off the ground (the front tip of the bucket). This is using the large (10 cubic foot) bucket, not the smaller bucket with optional teeth.

Either way, it looks to me like you can forget dumping anything in your truck with this!

Brent ....

View my Photos
david godollei

2001-10-03          32188

So I would have about 4" clearance as I approached the truck and when I dumped the bucket would hang over the side and into the bed of the truck. Sounds like a close fit. I wouldn't be able to pile up much into the truck. I could, as others suggested, get a trailer. I have an old 2 place snowmobile trailer that is rated at 1/2 ton that is only a foot or so off the ground. I could put some sides on it if necesary. Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated. How's the seating on your PT422? Is it pretty comfortable to mow? I'm 6' tall and have long legs. Wonder if my knees will get in the way? ....

View my Photos
Brent Griffith

2001-10-04          32199

David,

I don't think you would be able to dump much at all. Yes, you could clear the side of the truck bed (barely), but as you tilt, I think the bucket would tend to "pinch" the side of the bed.

As to comfort, I'd have to say its fairly good. My wife and I are average in height(around 5'7" to 5'9"), but my wife has a very bad back. She can't sit or stand for long periods of time. But she is able to run the PT422 for at least a couple of hours without it causing her pain. This is considerably better than any lawnmower that we have had in the past.

However, for someone with long legs, it might be a bit cramped. It is a bit awkward to get into, but I can't decide if being taller would help or not. Once in, there's a reasonable amount of room. I suspect the seat could be moved back a bit if necessary (rebolted), but I'm going on memory here since I'm at work. I'll try and take a closer look tonight and let you know what I see.

Brent ....

View my Photos
david godollei

2001-10-04          32212

Thanks. ....

View my Photos
ERNEST MATSON

2001-12-08          33707

I HAVE A 422 POWER TRAC THAT I GOT LAST YEAR AND I HAVE A 5'X8' TRAILER WITH A 2 INCH BALL HITCH THAT I HAVE TOWED BEHIND THE POWER TRAC. WITH A 2 INCH BALL HITCH ATTACHED TO THE REAR HITCH. IT IS A CLOSE FIT BUT IT WILL WORK, IT DOES NOT SEEM TO AFFECT THE HANDLING OF THE POWER TRAC BUT I HAVE NOT HAULED ANYTHING IN THE TRAILER WHEN ATTACHED TO THE POWER TRAC AS I HAVE SOME STEEP HILLS THAT I AM NOT SURE HOW IT MIGHT HANDLE THE TRAILER WITH MUCH WEIGHT ON IT, THE TRAILER EMPTY WEIGHS ABOUT 600 POUNDS. ....

View my Photos
ERNEST MATSON

2001-12-08          33708

I would forget trying to use the 422 power trac to load a pickup, i tried it on my 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pickup and it does not work. the reach of the bucket is not enough plus the dump height will not clear the sides of the pickup, you can get some on from the rear of the pickup with the tailgate removed. ....

View my Photos
MossRoad

2001-12-10          33733

It's been a long time since someone added to this post! I have decided to purchase a PT425. I'm ordering it this week. While my pickup is a very low rider, I realize that the PT400 series won't be able to dump much into it with out a loading ramp. I have an old trailer that is only about a foot and a half high and it will hold 1 ton, so I'll probably tow that behind my pickup and the PT won't have any trouble dumping into that.

How do you like your 422? What attachments do you have and which are the most useful to you? ....

View my Photos
ERNEST MATSON

2001-12-12          33771

I have had my power trac for almost 2 years and i have about 250 hours on it and i am real pleased with it. the only problem i have with it is the gas tank leaks around the fill cap , i have tried different gaskets and sealers and it still leaks. i have the 4 foot mower, scoop and roto tiller. we use the mower a lot as we have about 4 acres we mow. the only problem with the mower if you go up steep hills the front wheels lose traction in the float position , you have to lift mower slightly to get traction. i have used the roto tiller the least, it does a good job if you don't have any stone (which i have a lot small to medium sized stone) stones constantly get lodged between the tines and the housing which can be easily removed but it sure is irritating to do every few minutes. the scoop i use to haul and dig dirt, chips, haul firewood and remove snow , it sure is handy and something i would not be without. it is an amazing little machine and fun for me and my wife to operate. ....

View my Photos
MossRoad

2001-12-12          33783

Thanks for the information! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login