Go Bottom Go Bottom

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-21          34829

I've got my digger done enough try out. I installed the hydraulic remotes on the TC29 Saturday and installed the last hose on the hoe. The pictures linked to show the rest.
Thanks to all for the support during my project. The encourage e-mails help keep my motivation high.
Bill

Link:   Caddigger Construction Week 10 - Trial Run

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-22          34832

Looks real good. Congrats. ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
Doug C.

2002-01-22          34846

Which model of Caddigger is that? It looks great.

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
steve arnold

2002-01-22          34847

great job! that's alot bigger fab. project than I have ever tackled.

Yes do get those hoses protected!

and might I suggest wear plates on the outside of the bucket. ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-22          34851

Doug C. - it's a 708.
Bill ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
Millstone

2002-01-31          35143

What is your total cost to date? This appears to be a nice machine if the price is right. Did you consider making it a subframe mounted hoe instead of the 3 PH hitch? ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-02-01          35151

Millstone, I've got less than $2100 in the hoe. I would have liked to made it a sub-frame hoe, but that would mean two more hydraulic cylinders and valves for the stabilizers, about a $600 add-on from MetKit. It works great the way it is, I've already taken up some smaller stumps and have started on a big cottonwood stump. The discussions about the NH compacts breaking frames have heightened my interest in building a frame reinforcement, though.
Bill ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-02-01          35160

Bill -

By all means I would look in to a subframe reinforcement for use with your CadDigger. NH voids the warranty for damage due to "unapproved" backhoe installations. You can put a lot of stress on the frame. Digging stumps with a backhoe is one of the tougher jobs on a tractor frame. Be carefull... take it slow and easy, and check for signs of wear or cracking. If you park inside, look for puddles of oil/hydraulic fluid under the tractor after it has set for a bit. This could be a sign of things starting to give.

Not trying to scare you off. Lots of people do use 3 pt hoes on the class II NH compacts (TC 25/29/33). Just don't go hog wild with your new toy.

If you do make a subframe mount, I hope you'll keep us posted on your design and installation. Maybe you can steal some ideas from NH's subframe... I've heard it's pretty easy to get on and off. ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-02-01          35164

Actually I've been stealing ideas from the link below; I can't vouch for the engineering, but it looks pretty good to me.

I'm not too worried about the stress on the frame, mostly because I don't have a FEL on my TC29, or an excessive amount of front ballast. Any real weight lifts the front end off of the ground (which presents dangers of its own).

Thanks for the tips,

Bill ....

Link:   Home-built sub-frame

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-02-02          35212

Bill -

I may be wrong on this, but I believe some of the forces which can cause problems with the frame might be downward, so you would not see your front end rise up. I'm picturing that you've got the backhoe bucket below surface level, pulling towards you. It seems this would pull down on the front end.

Perhaps not having a FEL will still help... without it dug into the ground, your front tires could act as a "shock absorber" when you hit a large rock underground ???

John Mc ....

Caddigger Trial Run

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-02-02          35214

John,
I had trouble envisioning how the hoe and tractor interact until I used the hoe some. When it isn't tied down to the drawbar, the hoe (with me on it) will rise up rather than lift the rear of the tractor when digging by extending the dipper stick cylinder; by retracting the boom cylinder (raising the boom) one can dig by extending the dipper stick and still not have the hoe raise up. However, if a root or rock is encountered, and I retract the boom cylinder (raising the boom), the front end of the tractor becomes light, and can lift the front wheels off of the ground. I believe that Tom G. is right (posted on the Breaking frame thread) that force is being transmitted through the top link to lift the front of the tractor.
CadPlans states that these hoes work by "clamping" the earth between the bucket and the stabilizers. Very little stress would be placed on the tractor. I mean, my hoe is identical to the one you build that uses a small gasoline engine to run the hydraulic pump (the stand alone type or Trencherman type); that kind doesn't even have a tractor to attach to, yet still functions. I believe that any action that falls outside of that "clamping" motion places additional stress on the tractor.
Thanks,
Bill

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login