Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-06          11719

I am looking into purchasing a used compact tractor. I just found a 1985 JD 750 that seems to be in good shape, has a bucket loader and a york rake with agricultural tires and 4WD. I will be using it mostly for landscaping, hauling rocks, wood, sand and gravel on my 30 acre property. Did JD make an excavator for this model? Also, can I mount a mid mover deck on it or do I have to go with a rear model? In general, is this a good tractor. The asking price is $6,500. Sounds reasonable to me. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-01-06          11726

Correction, it's an 88, not an 85 and has 1,300 hours. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-01-06          11733

As long as your tractor has a mid PTO (for mid mount mower deck) a 60" belly mower will work. They also make a back hoe to fit as well! I would not be afraid of the HRS either. My 2 cents.

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-01-08          11788

I have a 750 I bought new in 1988. It's a 4 wheel drive with ag tires, and I've been VERY pleased.

I use a Woods 650 backhoe with excellent results. I also have a 67 loader, Woods landscape rake, Woods M5 brush hog, Howard tiller, PATU DC-40 chipper and a log splitter. It runs all of them with no problems and no breakdowns.

In 12 years and 1900 hours, I have replaced a battery, and put hardened bushings in the toplink attachment point on the tractor (the backhoe is hard on the toplink, hogs out the holes) Other than routine fluids and filters, I've never put a nickle in it, and it still runs and looks like new.

I think you'll be very happy, and the price seems about right. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-01-10          11809

Paul. Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you've got a great package for your machine. I could make use of every bit of it! I've got a huge brush pile, a huge pile of wood waiting to be split (my shouldes are aching right now from swinging an axe and maul over the weekend), an ever expanding garden, and a rear access road that's brushed in. I’ve found out a bit more about the machine I was looking at and have decided to keep looking. It’s done a LOT of log hauling, has already blown the front drive and front wheel bearings and needs a glow plug and $500 valve for the loader hydraulics. The motor and transmission seem O.K., but I’d rather find a machine that’s had an easier life, even if it costs a bit more. I’ve asked the local JD dealer to call me if he takes any 750’s in on trade. Who knows, I may even end up with a new 790, they're on sale! ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-01-10          11811

Whoa, sounds like that one's been rode hard and put away wet!

I have been hearing rumors, REPEAT, rumors, that the newer series machines are not the machines the 50 and 70 series were. I'm so happy with my 750 that it's not an issue for me, so I haven't bothered to investigate on my own. I do know I came within a heartbeat of trading up to a 970 for the extra power, the full synchro transmission and the power steering. In the end, couldn't hack the payment.

I see 750's in the local trader rag 5 or 6 times a year. Where are you? I'm in Maine. ....

Link:   Paul's Downeast Maine Homepage

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors John Deere 750

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-01-10          11812

Whoa, sounds like that one's been rode hard and put away wet!

I have been hearing rumors, REPEAT, rumors, that the newer series machines are not the machines the 50 and 70 series were. I'm so happy with my 750 that it's not an issue for me, so I haven't bothered to investigate on my own. I do know I came within a heartbeat of trading up to a 970 for the extra power, the full synchro transmission and the power steering. In the end, couldn't hack the payment.

I see 750's in the local trader rag 5 or 6 times a year. Where are you? I'm in Maine. ....

Link:   Paul's Downeast Maine Homepage

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors John Deere 750

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-01-10          11814

I'm in south-central Connecticut. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Ron Brenton

2000-01-13          11903

Have you watched the Bargain News. This week they have a 750 4wd don't remember the exact price. Somewher around $9000. It should be within drivable distance for you.
Good Luck
Ron from Conn. ....

Link:   

Click Here

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-01-13          11904

Thanks. Yes, I saw that ad and called the owner. I think the asking price of $9,000 is a bit high. I think it's an 83 or 85 and has something like 1700 hours. I could do without the cab. Also, I'd rather have the ag tires instead of the turf. It's been doing nursery work, which I would guess is mid-duty work. Why would a nursery sell a good tractor is what I keep asking myself! ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
ken dyck

2000-01-15          11974

the 750 does not have live pto. that makes it a dinasour in my books, good little unit otherwize but you can find 2 year old 870 970 1070 with under 100 hours for app 18,000. just look on deeres web site and go to the used equip finder. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Jim

2000-01-15          11978

Darrell, I've got 35 compacts, even green ones, take a ride north, don't be afraid to go out of Conn. they won't lock You out. We even have fillin' stations here in Vermont. telephone & tv too now!! Jim ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-01-16          11986

Ya know, I never thought about that. I run a rototiller, a bush hog, a post hole digger, a backhoe, a chipper and a log splitter with mine, and can't think of a time when live PTO would have been a particular advantage.

I'm familiar with the benefits of live PTO in agricultural applications, such as un-plugging a baler or something like that.

Just out of curiosity, what do you (or would you) use with a compact utility tractor that would make live PTO useful? Not dumping on your opinion, I'd LOVE to have an 870 just for the power steering and the full synchro transmission, I just got to thinking about it and got curious.

Thanks,
Paul ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
ken dyck

2000-01-16          11992

well, good question, first i live in Manitoba and we do get a fair amount of snow at times. it is nice to back into a large drift and put the clutch 1/2 way in and let the blower do its thing and inch into it again when the the revs are back up and the deere wants more work. also when in tall grass in summer and the mower is half clogged with a big wad of scrub and hay (ground speed a bit too fast and for a thick patch) again just push in the clutch 1/2 way and let old yanmar clear its throat and then keep on mowing. i am no pup having grown up on the farm and working with a 8N, 44MH Gas, TD6, IHC B250, JD 1120, JD 4010. i am not rich, it spent alot of sleepless nights before i took the plunge and put 100 % of the purchase price of my 970 on my mortgage. sometimes we don't have the choice but if the choice is out there go for the features that put a smile on your face. when i was 18 power steering just robbed valuable HP. now that i am 49, smiling and singing while i work the yard is quality time too, not just a chore. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
ken dyck

2000-01-16          11993

notice you said 30 acres, you need more tractor than a 750. most equipment is designed for 40HP and with 30 acres you should try to get as close to that as possible. also lets you borrow equipment from your neighbours, etc. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
robert j wolff

2000-01-17          12012

I see there are a few guys from Conn. on the board. Send me an email, regarding any of your tractor needs, I'm located in Woodbury, Conn. I'll get you headed in the right direstion. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
tractorman

2000-01-17          12013

Almost forgot to mention a used J.D. 870 I have coing in with very low hours, came off a chicken farm in VA. the people had purchased and had found it to be a little cumbersome inside their barn! Anyone with interest feel free to contact me. By the way, the last post was from me also, back to the old tractorman handle now. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-01-17          12014

This is in reply to Ken. Thanks for the insight. I'm sure bigger is better, but I just need to get something I can afford for now. The wife would just as soon see me out there with only hand tools! It was hard enough convining her I need a pick-up truck (just bought a 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton with a plow and only 70,000 miles on it). I don't have much grass, less than an acre, which I mow with 20 inch push mower now, and a rear access road about 1,500 feet long that I need to mow the sides of 2 or 3 times a year. Also, it wouldn't really be earning a dime as I'm not farming or anything, so it's hard for me to justify getting a bigger machine. I do plan to get some chickens and extend the garden a bit, and maybe get a goat or 2. I'd be happy enough to have something to help me maintain my 500 foot gravel driveway, haul firewood out of the woods and to do all those landscaping jobs on my list. Unfortunately, there really aren't any neighbors for me to borrow from. ....

John Deere 750

View my Photos
bo

2000-01-17          12015

Daryl- have the Mrs. work with the push mower a couple of times and she'll be the one that goes out and buys a big tractor. I hope you're real young cause doing what you are doing will age you real quick. bo ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login