Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 165d - oil light not working

View my Photos
thegogetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-10-14          180894

Good afternoon guys,
its starting to get a bit cooler out now in the NE and when I went to start the tractor last night it took a bit of work to get her started. spewed plenty of thick white smoke trying to start.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that she is starting to emit a light white smoke while simply driving with no load or resistance. its barely visible. This is the first time I've had a issue starting from "cold" even though it was 55F+/- outside.

My main question is the oil light doesn't light up when I turn the key to TS. Any ideas? Oil was changed approx. 10-15 hrs ago and shows no sign of decreased levels.

Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
winston1

2011-10-14          180898

I sure hope it is not the case but I would take the radiator cap off while engine is cold and watch for bubbles. Bad head gasket can cause that white smoke. Just something to check, not saying this is the problem. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-14          180899

Could need a valve adjustment.

If it doesn't illuminate when the key is ON (not at THERMOSTART) and the pressure is under 5psi, could be a faulty sensor or a failed bulb.

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-10-14          180901

you guys rock. Thanks for the dependable feedback. Its very much appreciated. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-14          180902

The oil light and the white exhaust are not likely related. I'm gonna assume that your tractor is wired like my YM240 was, and the oil light had 12v to it whenever the keyswitch was ON/RUN. But 12v by itself will not cause illumination. For that you need 12v to ground, and the bulb illuminates by means of a switched ground. It's switched on to test the light with the key in ON, then is switched back off when starting. Once running, it only illuminates when the oil pressure gets low enough to ground sensor leg of the circuit.

Take the bulb out of the socket and clean the base; the silver sides (ground) and the lead tip (12v). Then clean the socket; compressed air, pick, swab, small brush, whatever. You've got to make sure the sides and tip of the bulb make good contact with the sides and bottom of the socket. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll help you with some electrical tests.

White exhaust from a cold engine is often just condensation burning off. When a hot engine cools down, condensation forms inside the pipe, muffler, exhaust manifold. It's normal, unless it persists more than 30 seconds or so. If it does, then further investigation is in order.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
rScotty

2011-11-14          181199

thick white smoke can be water fog or un-combusted diesel fog. A pungent odor of either antifreeze or diesel will tell you which.
It's not unusual if a diesel doesn't fire up for it to puff diesel fog. It's sort of like a gasoline engine becoming flooded.
My YM165D is at the neighbors now, and I can't remember if that light comes on with thermostart or not.
good luck,
rScotty ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2011-11-14          181205

Yes, got it. I'm not too sure whats happening actually... it starts within reason and the light DOES work if it happens to stall out. Just not when turned to glow plug oil warmer... or whatever. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login