Go Bottom Go Bottom

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-29          177672

My curved 1000' laneway is constructed of larger rocks, then smaller, next gravel, and a surface of what we call stone dust or stone-dust-and-chips. Has worked well for a quarter-century; once a year I get a load of stone dust and level out the occasional minor sink-depression.

Two problems: In the winter, blading the snow to the side pulls some surface with it (especially when not well frozen) so in the spring I have to rake stone deposits off the grass. And in early spring the surface has thawed but it's still frozen under, preventing draining, and the surface gets boggy. So I'm thinking of having it paved this summer.

Would a layer of asphalt over what's there work, or would major preparation be required? And there's a big parking area at the house, where the boss doesn't want a tarpit appearance. I'd welcome any thoughts.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-29          177675

A couple of thoughts here.

First, your 'boggy' conditions are pretty normal, and the surface has nothing to do with it, it's lacking drainage further down, you need to get the water away from the laneway. Drainage tile is the easiest method.

Second, no, IMHO paving won't solve anything but your issue with gravel in the grass. We avoid that by using shoes or gauge wheels on the blade until the surface is well frozen.

As for the surface, I've got a lot of customers that have had very good results by using what we call "binder mix" on driveways and lanes. Basically the stone dust is mixed with concrete powder before it's delivered and after it's been spread and packed, it's wet down, or allowed to set up over time. The concrete and the stone dust seem to almost but not quite set up into a solid surface.

Best of luck. ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-29          177676

I'll sure look into your two suggestions -- which I think will save me a lot of money and frustration! ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-03-29          177684

We call that either stone-mix or stone-crete. It is available in a couple of different size stones. As Murf says, it will pack down and be a little soft for a couple of weeks out of the year. Once packed, I scatter some smaller stone on top as a top dressing for a smoother surface for walking on, etc.

Stihl makes a small rototiller that can have rubber paddles added as an accessory which is roughly 2 foot wide. It is used to clear the stone off the grass and get it back on the driveway. It's much easier than a rake. ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-29          177689

I've got one of those power brooms---works very well. My is made by Shindiawa, but Echo makes one too. Mine is a dedicated broom; the other brands are attachments as far as I know. ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-05-04          178313

Murf said, "... issue with gravel in the grass. We avoid that by using shoes or gauge wheels on the blade ...."

Sounds good, but any suggestions on where I can get shoes or wheels? A google search didn't help. These can't be permanent; I'd want them when scraping snow off non-frozen fine stones, but not for sidewalks. They'd have to work in both forward and reverse.

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
Murf

2011-05-05          178323

The simplest DIY solution is to weld a bracket or short piece of 1/4" wall tube on stand-offs to each side of the back of the blade near the outside edge. Just like the skid shoes on a snowplow. This way you can easily adjust the height, and remove or install them in seconds.

See the picture below.

They're available anywhere that sells snow plows, or if you know anybody who plows they probably have several sets and you could snag one of theirs.

Best of luck.

Picture Link
Yanmar Tractors Laneway Paving Question

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-05-05          178327

Thanks once again Murf.

If that photo is from an ad, where can I find it? ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
Murf

2011-05-05          178328

It isn't from an ad, it's from the Western Snowplow website.

Do you need more / better pictures / ideas of how to do it?

If it wasn't for Mothers Day I'd say load it up & make road trip this weekend. It's hard to describe how to do it, but easy to show or do it.

Best of luck. ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-05-06          178331

You'd always be welcome if you're ever in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, and I really appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't have you make such a trip for that. I'll access a couple of shoes and figure out a mount. Thanks again. ....

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
Murf

2011-05-06          178333

The simplest way to do it I've found is to take 4 pieces of heavy flat bar and 2 pieces of heavy tube (both 1/4") all 6 pieces being about 3" long. The tub should be just big enough to take the stem of the shoes.

Then use 2 pieces of flat bar per side (cut to conform to shape of blade back if necessary) welded to the back of the blade, then the pipe welded to them.

Pardon the "keyboard drafting" but it should look something like this when looking straight down on it. Ignore all the dots, they're needed to keep the formatting straight.

I'll see if I can find a picture that would better illustrate it for you.

Best of luck.

Laneway Paving Question

View my Photos
Murf

2011-05-06          178334

The shoes are the easy part, good old Princess Auto, although they may not have any stock till fall since it's a seasonal item obviously.

See below.

Best of luck.

Link:   Princess Auto Snow Plow Skid Shoes.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login