Go Bottom Go Bottom

Keeping Battery Charged

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-28          176616

Found a neat charger that I've installed on all my vehicles that sit for a while.

Lincoln Electric, "Century" Model 87002 "On-board Battery Charger." A bit bigger than a deck of cards. Has a bracket for attaching to the battery. You hardwire its ring connectors to the battery terminals. The short power cord clips onto itself so it's out of the way.

Put power to the cord and it applies 1.5 amps only until the voltage comes up. An LED signals when it's charging.

Not sure of the price because I got a case of them but I'd estimate $30.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Keeping Battery Charged

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-28          176618

All I've ever done is use a regular cheapy 2-5 amp charger and a $5 lamp timer.

I have the lamp timer set to charge for 1 hour per day, around 3 or 4 am (just before dawn, typically the coldest period) and just let it go. For some of the bigger batteries, or vehicles with multiple batteries I might make it 1.5 or 2 hours a day.

I've never boiled a battery dry nor had a battery die what I thought was prematurely.

I have about 10 little chargers I've acquired over the years from garage sales, store specials, wherever.

Best of luck. ....

Keeping Battery Charged

View my Photos
harvey

2011-01-28          176622

Started using a bettery tender after buying the "Blue Tractor" (HD Heritage) it maintains with out over charging. I have Batteries on shelf during non use and just switch every couple four weeks. Lawn mower has its own as does the HD. Next year I'm buying a 6volt one and a new battery for the M and that will always stay connected while in the shed. ....

Keeping Battery Charged

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-01-28          176624

I've had a Battery Minder on my generator for ten years without any battery troubles whatsoever. I like it so much I bought a couple more for the tractor and chipper. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login