Go Bottom Go Bottom

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-30          175451

I have a YM240 that overheats. I replaced the head gasket and had no effect on it. It builds up pressure in the radiator and then blows the coolent into the overflow resevoir after about 10-15 mins running at 1200-1400rpm. Looks like the water pump is working fine, ie circulation at top of radiator, but am at a loss at what it could be.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos

2010-11-30          175453

I forgot to add that there is no oil in the water nor water in the oil. ....

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-30          175454

Provided that you have no coolant leaks anywhere........

Check the radiator cap. It's very important to have the proper cap.

The cooling system operates best when under a few pounds of pressure. A slight amount of pressure prevents the coolant from boiling. If this pressure is lost, the coolant will boil almost immediately.....in any engine.

Anti-freeze/coolant is designed to reduce the freeze point and increase the boiling point. However, it's far more effective at preventing boiling when it's under a few pounds of pressure. This is where the radiator cap comes into play.

I'm guessing that somebody put the wrong cap on the radiator. You likely need one with a higher pressure rating.

Hope that helps.

Joel ....

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos
winston1

2010-11-30          175456

Does your temperature overheat light come on when it boils over? Is your radiator clean inside and out? Are you getting any bubbles in the radiator with cap off while engine is still cool? ....

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-30          175457

If the coolant, cap, fan, and belt check out, I'd run cleaner through the rad, and power-flush the block. I can tell you how, but if you can get it to a rad shop, it would be worth the small cost to benefit from their expertise and equipment.

Speaking of belts, they don't last forever and just cost a few bucks, but on yours you have to disconnect the lower rad hose, which is awkward and messy. So if the hose is to come off, I'd install a new belt. ....

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-12-01          175467

A few questions here: what are you use the tractor for in the 10 or so minutes when it runs hot? If using PTO could you be running the engine at too low rpm and if pulling something could you be in too high a gear or again running engine rpm too low? Sure the brakes are releasing and no wheel bearing bad to place drag in it? Don't miss the air filter, if it needs changing it can cause the engine to run hot. This should be a very quick check. ....

YM240 overheat problem

View my Photos

2010-12-01          175475

Thanks everbody, it was the radiator cap. The previous owner told me that he had just put one on not long before I bought it from him, but it was the cap.

You really helped me a lot

thanks again ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login