Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor-Mounted Stump Grinders

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-27          171863

Wish I had a small stump grinder on my rear hitch. But the ones I've seen sell for near five figures and require hydraulic plumbing behind 50-100 HP. (I have 19 HP at the PTO and no hydraulic outlets.)

Do you know of any model that you raise/lower in use by the hitch alone, that you swing L/R by hand, and that doesn't need high power?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-27          171865

How many and what size are they?

You might be better off in the long run to hire it out or rent one. Been there done that and it's not worth it unless you like vibration and a loud engine blasting and standing still for a half hour per stump, and belts squealing. And that was a Home Depot 25 hp Vermeer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-27          171866

I have a 3pth. stump grinder, a "stumpster" that has probably only been used a handfull of times and it would probably run on your tractor, but you would have to be incredibly careful.

You know what too much snowblower can do to a clutch, this is no different.

Given the weight though, I doubt you'd want to crank it up & down by hand for long.

BTW, the reason it's rarely been used is because it creates such a mess. By the time I deal with the big scar full of soil/mulch that will then decompose and settle for a few years to come I figure I may as well dig them out and be done with it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-06-27          171870

Auer;
I'm not aware of a small grinder for a 19 hp tractor, but I think if there were one you'd be there till Christmas till you got done.
Several yeas ago there was a fellow with a three point mounted grinder on a 100-120 hp International farm tractor came around looking for work. I had him do a couple stumps. I think this thing was a conversion to three point from a trailer mounted machine that he ran with the PTO. It had no curtians, shields, etc., so stuff flew all over but he had a couple kids with him who raked up every crumb. Never saw him again. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-28          171885

Thanks friends. I have maybe 20, spread over seven acres, from an inch to a foot caliper, that I chainsawed to a one-inch stump, which sometimes, on uneven ground, touches the mower blades though they're set higher.

Unless you happen to know of a stump auger (if there is such a thing) for a post-hole digger, I think I'll put a short sacrificial chain and bar on the saw, and cut them (at least the smaller ones) down to ground level. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-28          171889

If all you want to do is hide them from the mower blades, I'd say to rent a stump grinder.

All you really need is to take a an inch or two off the top, even the little belt-driven jobs will do that without to much cussing.

Most home centers have a rental department now, it's not much money to get one for a day, probably about the same as you'd spend on a 'sacrificial chain & bar' for the saw and back pain meds for afterward anyway. ;)

If you were a little closer I'd say come get mine and give it a whirl.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-28          171917

Soooooo Murf, how "close" to you does one have to get to borrow your tools, eh? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-28          171918

Auer, there were stump cutters-- 1-horse-powered--that clamped/collared over a stump and had a single chisel or tooth blade that when rotated around the stump by the horse cut the roots. There was one on eBay for $200 some time ago. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-06-29          171925

Appreciate all the comments. I'll check Home Depot's 13-HP one (rents for $96/day) to see if I can use the tractor to move it from one stump to another -- otherswise I'd need help to push it around. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-29          171929

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 171917
Soooooo Murf, how "close" to you does one have to get to borrow your tools, eh?

Within about 5 hours or so...... :)

Of course I'd dearly love to sell the stump grinder too.

I still think if you have some weight, like a good-sized p/u or farm tractor, an old truck rim and a stout chain are nearly as fast as a backhoe at removing small stumps.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-29          171949

Auer,

The question you asked about a stump digger on the order of post hole digger is something I have wondered about a good bit. Which to me is the issue, a good "bit".

That make a small saw that fits on the 3pth and operated by the pto and lift you back into the stump cutting it off below bush hog height I know. Depending on where these stumps are and the rush you are in you can use large wood bits and hand drill to remove a good bit of the stump speeding up the rot process. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login