Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
comotoes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-02          168930

Any advice out there on how steep a hill is the 336 capable of either decending or climbing and still keep the shiny side up? I am considering decending about a 30 degree slope down to a river to do some firewood clean-up and get a bad case of anal-pucker with any decent. I have a bucket on it so wheelies aren't a high probability. Any advice or experience out there?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-02          168931

There's a difference between a 30 percent grade and a 30 degree angle. FWIW, a 30% grade is about a 17 degree angle. Don't think I'd tackle a 30 degree angle, but I might (carefully) work a 30% grade. Just go down and back up the hill diagonal to the slope. That cuts your angle of attack way down. If you're going to carry anything heavy back uphill in the front bucket, keep a sharp eye on the downhill side front wheel

//greg// ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-03          168941

You can lower the C of G in various ways: with a belly mower; liquid in the tires, esp the lower half of the rears; a rear implement just off the ground; and particularly keeping the bucket low.

Yanmar rear rims are offset so installed one way they minimize the width, sometimes used for shipping, so ensure they're not set this way.

Another school of thought holds that you are more likely to roll (tip) sideways than pitch (front over back), so you should steer up/down hills on the path a rolling ball would take. ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-03-03          168942

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 168941
Another school of thought holds that you are more likely to roll (tip) sideways than pitch (front over back), so you should steer up/down hills on the path a rolling ball would take.
The highway engineers that build S-curves in the mountains must not have gone to that school.

//greg// ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
comotoes

2010-03-03          168944

Hmmmmm..... not lookin' good for the home team - this is definitely more like 30 degrees. But if I back down the slope with some sand in the bucket …. I'm afraid that the fly in the ointment is the fact that this is a wooded area and if any of the corners - particularly the downhill corners - drop in a depression, the shorts are soiled, at best! ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-03-03          168953

Yes, the questioner could carve curved roadways Greg, as such roadways are level (so rolling/tipping a narrow Yanmar is not a concern -- unlike following a diagonal). ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-03          168955

Have you looked to see if your manual gives you any idea on the amount of slope? My guess is they will be very vage due to liability issue. Your question is much longer than my experience for we don't have hills here. But for what it is worth I have driven CUT and Mid size tractors down slopes of every bit 30 degrees with no issue. Never driven up that steep a slope but have backed up some. Never had a FEL on a tractor doing so but have done it a lot with rear blade or box blade and pulling dirt as I going. Would never think to try driving up such a slope pulling a blade.

Again no hills here so the distance has never been more than 20 feet or so.

If you will do a search for the standards for Interstate you might find the info there of value. ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-03-03          168957

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 168953
Yes, the questioner could carve curved roadways Greg, as such roadways are level (so rolling/tipping a narrow Yanmar is not a concern -- unlike following a diagonal).
Think I need a Canadian-English dictionary to understand that one. But more to the point, I have several slopes on my property that I don't dare tackle straight down. And for the record, one of the tractors that have negotiated those slopes was a YM240. Anyway, I'd never be able to stop at the bottom. But I do work the same slopes quite comfortably on the diagonal. Takes some experience, cuz the technique is counter-intuitive. When it starts feeling like there might be some control issues, instinct makes one want to steer back uphill. But it's safer to counter that reflex with slight downhill corrections to shift the center of balance to the uphill side

//greg// ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
Murf

2010-03-03          168958

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 168957
Think I need a Canadian-English dictionary to understand that one.

I'd happily try to translate for you Greg, but since the vast majority of the time I spent in the US was in the Low Country of the Carolinas, I'm not sure you'd understand my American either. LOL

I think what Auerbach meant was to carve a lane into the side of the bank such that the tractor was sitting level side-to-side while going up and down the hill.

IMHO if it's not too far down the hill, a long cable and a logging arch is the ticket. A logging arch is basically a horseshoe-shaped (standing vertically on the two points) arch with a wheel at each end and a long tongue coming forward to pull it from. You snag a log which rides in the hollow formed by the arch. Leave the tractor on the high ground and just pull the arch up the slope.
Much safer, way down the "seat of the pants pucker factor" scale.

They can be fabricated in short order by anyone who can do even basic welding.

Best of luck.

Link:   Logging Arches

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-03          168959

I won't even try to guess what the safe angle, or gradE which ever way you measure it is. I've did a few or maybe even more than a few things on a grade that weren't real smart, but so far I've got away with it.
Just one point I'll make is having a loader on the tractor helps a lot whether it its an up down trip or across a sidehill. I go up/down in reverse with something like sand/ dirt in the bucket real low with my hand on the lever ready to drop the bucket, so far I haven't had to.
OK now, across a sidehill with a traditional wide front axle tractor the pivot point of the axle is just below the radiator. That said, with something heavy in the bucket and the bucket as low as it can be to clear the ground the mass in the bucket being below the pivot point of the front axle actually improves your stability by moving the center of gravity of the tractor/loader a bit toward the uphill side of the tractor. ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-03          168960

Comotoes are actually in Gladwin? - I used to ride offroad in that area and Rose City back in the '90's--are those area still open to "us"?

Anywho, never heard of side hilling--sounds like a cheap way to get a thrill LOL

With a loader unloaded I prefer to drive straight down as Auer says like a ball goes--only with the bucket just skimming the hill if need be and hand on the control to tip the bucket and use it to brake. Unloaded still, go back in reverse ---in case of poor footing or loss of traction the bucket can be used to push yourself back up.

Loaded, going downward drive in reverse; loaded going upward drive with load ahead.

With a backhoe on---all this changes; I climbed and decended hillsides that were either so slick or steep I fully extended the hoe to get better counterbalance---and lived to tell the story. ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
comotoes

2010-03-04          168978

Earth worker, where you been - under a (flat) rock?

Yes, the trails are open more than ever but you usually have to travel some to find tight stuff that's not all whooped out by quads (like the Gladwin loop). Check out the CCC websight for details. You can now actually ride legally on secondary roads (up here) to get to the trails and for food and fuel.

Murf, Good call on the logging arch - if I could only find one for cheap! I have an old snow sled mover that I may be able to modify for the purpose but may be too liht for the killer trunk log (2' x 10' red oak) layingdown on the river bank. Need to get it up off the ice soon!

All, I tried my luck with the 336D and my "Blockhead" (1200# 3-point ballast block) and about 100' of chain. Was surprised to be able to walk 5 big logs up the snow-covered bank. Got the 3 biggies to do today and will need to roll them on smaller logs Egyptian-style. Tough to do with one person though ... volunteers?! ....

Yanmar 336D on Hills

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-04          168983

Toes, the Indians named this place of Flat Rock "'level pebble" for the limestone that is just below the river bottom. I tell people that it's not the end of the world---but we can see it from here lol

Spent a lot of time at the Sugar Bowl in Gladwin (Rose City). The locals used to pull the stop signs out of 4-way stops in the hopes of ending the lives of offroaders who according to them were tearing up the place. Even had a shotgun aimed in my face when we got off the trail accidentally. Those were the days!

Back to the topic: I've seen guys use the hood of car flipped over with the log's front end resting on the hood and chained to it. Another chain is connected to hood and the tractor. The hood acts like the bow of boat to get on top of vegetation, snow or mud when the timber arch doesn't work.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login